Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM

Default Best Virtual Drum sound from Stock Installation of PT 10

Looking for the best possible sounding solution using the boxed version of pro tools 10.

What I currently do is this - start with xpand2. I program my drum performance using a kit. I tweek it as much as possible for velocity and such as I can.

I then make several more virtual instrument tracks, one for each of the drum sections. So for example, I make a snare only and kick only as well as a hats/cymbals only.

I then set up aux tracks to act as the output for each of these individual outputs. I then add whatever is needed (from mostly stock plug ins) to give each of the drums as organic a sound as I possibly can. EQ's, sans-amp, whatever works.

I have some pretty good success with this method, as I have found drummers who are on the fence, and can't really tell.

Is there a better method using the stock delivery of Pro Tools 10 to getting a better virtual drummer sound.

I have purchased and experimented with Strike as well. But find it a much slower process, though at times pretty damn good - it's just a pig of a plug in for resources.

I do not wish to purchase anything more! Any advice or ideas are most welcome!

Thanks!!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:37 PM

Default Re: Best Virtual Drum sound from Stock Installation of PT 10

Sounds like you are maxing the potential of what you have. Having owned ezdrummer, SD2 and Addictive drums, I find them all much easier to use, and for my needs, Addictive Drums is a bargain(got mine on sale for $99 new from an eBay seller)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Sounds like you are maxing the potential of what you have. Having owned ezdrummer, SD2 and Addictive drums, I find them all much easier to use, and for my needs, Addictive Drums is a bargain(got mine on sale for $99 new from an eBay seller)
Thanks Albee! Addictive Drums has some of the best reviews I've seen, and at only $99 from Sweetwater - well - maybe a small investment like this can keep the fires burning :)

Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 AM

What kind of music are you trying to make?
I would also recommend an inexpensive drum library (like EzDrummer w/ expansion pack for your favorite style of music, Superior Drummer 2, BFD2, Steven Slate Drums, etc.)

I have made a couple of tutorial videos on mixing drums with Pro Tools. Even if you keep using Xpand, you might be able to pick up some tricks with these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvtfwXyuOk0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIbjUytOk4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMZK_KhUF0I
Old 01-28-2013, 11:25 AM

Default Best Virtual Drum sound from Stock Installation of PT 10

Thanks for those vids etar - i am goimg to invest some time this week into watchimg them