Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2007, 08:23 AM

Default Batch File Name/Volume Changes-How To?

Hello all,

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know how to make batch changes to the names of sound files. I would guess that this would be an OS level change instead of within Protools. I have a hundreds of effects that need to have the names changed to remove the first 5-6 characters and replace them with two characters so I can search through things more easily.

2. All of the effects are normalized to full volume. Is there a way to make a batch change to all of them to reduce the level so they don't blow me away when they are auditioned?

Thanks!
Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Batch File Name/Volume Changes-How To?

1. Does anyone know how to make batch changes to the names of sound files. I would guess that this would be an OS level change instead of within Protools. I have a hundreds of effects that need to have the names changed to remove the first 5-6 characters and replace them with two characters so I can search through things more easily.

The Command Prompt's RENAME command allows renaming groups of files in the same folder with use of the ????????.??? and *.* specifiers. Experiment on a few copies in a temporary folder to see if it will do what you want.

Also, Google "rename group of files" to get some utilities that may be easier and/or better.

2. All of the effects are normalized to full volume. Is there a way to make a batch change to all of them to reduce the level so they don't blow me away when they are auditioned?

I'm not at a machine so can't check, but there may be a setting for preview volume some where. If not, and you can't just turn down the sound somewhere, you can import them all into a Protools session, use the Audiosuite "Gain" plug in to reduce them all by (eg) 20 db. This will write new files so you still have your old ones. Use the new ones to audition, then use the old full gain version in the session.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:50 AM

Try Flash Renamer: http://www.rlvision.com/flashren/about.asp
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 02-19-2007, 06:35 AM

If I need to rename a bunch of files in Pro Tools, Strip Silence is the way to go. PT7 added a feature in there called 'Rename' and it is very handy.
Old 03-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, but Rail's Flash Renamer was the winner! Great little app!