Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2002, 02:15 PM

Default Re: why windows??

FLorian

Quote:
Originally posted by florian sommer:
so all i hear is, that if i am going to buy pt hd on windows i am going to have trouble here and there in transferring data between mac and windows?? beeing limited in plug ins??
that are reasons for me not going windows, but are there reasons for going windows, except that it is a little less for the hardware??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The main reason to go for Windows is that it's what you know already, and are happy with.

If you are starting from not using a PC at all, go with the Mac
Old 09-23-2002, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Camilo Orozco:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by darkwar3:
Having said that, Steve, we use "Dave" on our Macs to interface with our Windows network, and the Macs just appear as any other computers on the network, and that works fine for us.

Matt
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hello Matt,
Can you post the URL for "dave" software???

Thank you in advance.
<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hi Camilo,

The publisher is Thursby Software, and you can find the product info at http://www.thursby.com/products/dave.html

Regards,

Matt
Old 09-24-2002, 05:34 PM

I'm not trying to start any flame wars here but for music (or any artistic medium for that matter) I put my money on the MAC
Old 09-24-2002, 10:57 PM

not trying to start a flame war?
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers
Tony
Old 09-25-2002, 12:56 AM

Tron

Well done - You're fast with your screwdriver,
my biggest hold up was: since it was an upgrade telling Windows where the driver was for each chip in turn (yeah it is a lousy "feature")

but you get my point - if you're familiar with Windows, installation is not a problem. You were talking days for Windows installation.
Old 09-25-2002, 02:36 AM

In short: What's the benefit of PC-PT:

1. Much faster system.
While you'll use many TDM plugs each time you'll need more power I assume you'll start using those RTAS counterparts.
A brand new P4 can hold up with much more than a Mac so theortically you get Increased DSP power.

2. Cheaper Hardware / Maintaince:
Since Macs are "ALL IN ONE" usually to replace a part (if it's not HD, RAM or AGP) costs more as with DELLs, Compaqs or any brand.

Purchasing a PC you can customize the entire hardware to get the optimal machine in a pretty low price.

3. No true cross-platform worries.
The only mess-up of cross-platform with a session is the actual transfer.
Using MacOpener or a simple program on the PC you can get around this limit and everything work smooth.

You can also CD-R/DVD-R the session on the mac with a program like Toast which use CDFS and PC can read it easily.

I hope that helped as "why go WindowsPT"
But still I would suggest anyone now to wait until PT6 and see what's OS X offering [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-25-2002, 05:31 AM

yes, probably pt6 will automatically bring the answer.
thanx for posting,