Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Magma PCIX-PCI use 001 on G5?

I was looking into a firewire option for PCIX expansion so I could use my 001 on my G5. I came across this about the Magma PCI expansion box. (www.magma.com)

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/index.html

From my limited knowleadge, I think this might be a way to get the G5 and 001 to work friendly together. They have options for a PCI for laptop and a card to install in the G5 and the expansion box has selectable voltage

http://www.mobl.com/expansion/pci/psu/45w_dc.html

Could the "Mac Masters" or smart guys look at this and see if this is a real option. If so, Digi may have to "resupport" the 001.

Thanks for responing in advance!!
Spitse
Old 01-12-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: Magma PCIX-PCI use 001 on G5?

Quote:
If so, Digi may have to "resupport" the 001.
Stop stop, you're killing me!

Have you priced the Magma chassis yet? I'm assuming you haven't since you actually created this thread... you're in for a shocker - (there's a price PDF on their site BTW). Sell your 001 and put the profits towards an 002 rack, it'll be about the same price (cheaper actually), AND you'll be fully supported down the line.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:40 AM

East Slim just a question, and yes I have looked at the prices. The support for the 001 thing was kind of a joke.

Reason for post. What if I have $2000 of pluging that wont move on to 002 that I am pleased with. If I sell my 001 at 300 and at most get 1000 for my plugins i only make 1300. Does that pay for the new 002 yes if I don't need plugins that do not come in the factory bindel. SO I have to go out and get more plugins and spent more money maybe even 3000 for what I have now. Is the cost of a 1500 PCI bus that allows me to use my 001 on my G5 without having to get more plugins (bying cheep ones from other people) worth more to me than upgrading to 002. I know what Digi will say. How many posts have you seen complaining about having to buy all new stuff for the G5 when thay are happy with what they have, when all they would need is to have a buss with 5volts instead of 3volts. By the way. you can use all the old SCSI cards that you might have to upgrade in a normal G5 in any situation and you can use one of their Card Slot-PCI solutions on a Laptop. Using 001 on a G4 1.5 laptop, kinda cool. But to each his own.

Sorry for the rant. I think many people do not see the potential, even cost potential here.

By the way, I am wishing for a 002R for my birthday with many free plugins.

Spitse
Old 01-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Why would you have to sell your plug-ins? Most have very reasonably priced (or free) upgrades from OS9 to OSX, and there's no reason they would work on the 001 and not the 002, RTAS is RTAS.

Quote:
How many posts have you seen complaining about having to buy all new stuff for the G5
Not that many, most people understand the upgrade process. However, if the purpose of this thread was just to rant, I suggest you search through the forum archives, the ranting has come and gone on this issue as of several months ago, adding your voice to those threads might strengthen your point more than starting a whole new one.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Not ranting, I just want to know if this might work. Who knows this may be the most cost effective for me if it does.

Thanks for the posts Slim. I need reality sometimes.

spitse