Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2004, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here

I can certainly hear the influence from The Church. They were one of my favorite bands back in the glorious 80's. I think their sound sort of *was* the sound of the decade. I am looking forward to listening to more of your stuff.

--joe
Old 05-03-2004, 09:41 PM

Just listened to the first 3 songs.. 'Judas', 'Speed', and 'Warning'... some great guitar work and cool arrangements, interesting changes throughout. Good job...I'll listen to more later.
-Roy
Old 05-03-2004, 10:00 PM

OK ... I haven't posted anything here before although I have projects that are nearly done that I will share, but this was a little gem that I re-discovered recently that made me smile. My old band mates came up to visit me last September (we haven't been a 'band' for almost 10 years now), and we played for a day -- like 20 hours straight. I rolled 'tape' for much of it, and we actually wrote a couple of songs while we drank copious amounts of German and Dutch beer.

This one is called "Labyrinth." The drummer showed up to our little reunion with a drum line and we threw together the rest of what is here. It is an instrumental, but you wouldn't want to hear us sing -- trust me. We worked on it for about a half hour and then played it through. I did go over it afterward to lay down a few more guitar tracks for thickness and to spruce it up generally, but the majority of what you hear is the three of us live. That being said, I realize that the playing isn't very tight, and my solo gets bent all over the place (thank you Grolsh beer). The drums were recorded to a stereo track, so mixdown was interesting because the kick is buried in there, the cymbals are all over the place, and there is very little control of the mix in general. This wasn't ever intended for release, but I thought it would be interesting to share with the DUC.

I know this isn't perfect, but it is cool to me because it is creativity in action. It is just a trio of old friends who wrote some music over laughs and beer, and here is the first pass at one of those tunes. Next up is a completely improvised and unrehearsed tune called "Thumbs Up."

Labyrinth

CrossFire Studios
Old 05-04-2004, 12:47 AM

Hey Straat.
Nice stuff, I love hearing live jams. Don't care what it sounds like. The energy you get from playing live seems to overcome any lack in sound quality in my opinion.

Gotta love those electronic drums
Old 05-04-2004, 01:46 AM

Hi, guys,

Well, I spent almost the entire weekend rebuilding my site. Turns out I hate web design.

So this should be working now, can someone give it a listen and tell me that it works?

http://www.byolaf.com/Music/MusicHouse.htm

Can you also tell me if the spot sucks?

I uploaded a sample of a couple of levels (tracks) for you to listen to. I will have a short spot for low-bandwidth users, and I'll put some more complicated stuff out for you to listen to as time goes on.
Thanks for your patience and your ears. I'll listen to some of your stuff as soon as I can.
-Olaf
Old 05-04-2004, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Gotta love those electronic drums
LOL ... yeah, I have an entirely "silent" setup for jamming purposes: I run the guitar through the GT-6, bass through the GT-6B, and put the drummer on my V-Drums. I slam all those signals through a compact mixer and into my headphone distribution system -- VIOLA! We can be playing for hours without forcing the neighbors into hiding, and my wife and kids never have to leave the house just because dad is acting like a 19 year old rock star wannabe -- well except for all the laughing like idiots between songs.

Thank you for the nice comment. I agree, there is nothing like the energy of playing live.

CrossFire Studios
Old 05-04-2004, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Just listened to the first 3 songs.. 'Judas', 'Speed', and 'Warning'... some great guitar work and cool arrangements, interesting changes throughout. Good job...I'll listen to more later.
-Roy
Thanks for listening and for the feedback I have already listened some of the latest arrivals here on this forum and I guess many great stuff is being recorded all around the world. I like mixing and creating new sounds. And I listened many great sounds and especially voices here.

I am a guitar player and I always like to try something new. My biggest problem is finding a good vocal for my songs. For 9 years, I was in VA for university education on interior designing, TX for pschycology minoring, and CA for recording technology classes. Still a lot to learn and to do. I also like to listen to what you guys record, and just love listening those voices.

I will be back...
Old 05-04-2004, 08:05 AM

Default neoprene

Here's another track off the album i did.

The Benny Hymn Crusade

The master is really bright, i'll be the first one to admit that..

The band is neoprene.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:26 PM

Hey Straat...
That's very cool... ..from what you had said, I was expecting '99 Barrels of Beer' or something( ), but I really enjoyed the piece. Those may be the best sounding V-Drums I've heard, and the drummer does em justice. Nice guitar work too...Cool piece.
-Roy
Old 05-04-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Let\'s hear your latest stuff....right here *DELETED* *DELETED*

Post deleted by nightshadecrisis