Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Default Re: Beware of OSX 10.7.3 and Eleven Rack!

Believe it or not, this was originally much longer, but I chopped it down quite a bit...

Does the Eleven show up in the OS X Audio/Midi setup? If it doesn't show up there, the problem has nothing to do with PT itself, but is at the OS, driver, or hardware level, because the system itself doesn't recognize the 11R.

Are you using a USB hub or plugging directly into the USB port on the back of the Mac? Some USB hubs are better than others, and I've had my fair share of USB 2.0 devices that don't work correctly unless plugged directly into the onboard USB ports - the Tascam US144 is one, and IIRC the 11R was another. At any rate, it never hurts to be sure.

Try (one at a time):

1./ Plug the 11R directly into one of the onboard USB ports, NOT a port on a hub.
2./ Try a different USB port.
3./ Try a different USB cable.
4./ Completely uninstall and remove all traces of the 11R driver, reboot, re-download the latest driver and install it, reboot.

If there's still no joy, we need to isolate whether there is a physical problem, and if there is, whether the problem is at the Mac or at the 11R. The easiest and most straightforward way to do that is to see if the 11R is recognized on a different computer, and if a different 11R is recognized on yours (can you borrow or rent one for a day?). If the problem follows either device, we know which device needs service.

Just plug your 11R into another computer and see what happens. If the 11R is OK, there should be a reaction of some kind shown on the computer - a "new hardware found" dialog or something similar. Now, plug a different 11R into your Mac (again, directly to the Mac's USB port, not a hub). Is it recognized? If not, your Mac's USB port, USB driver, or even the 11R driver is suspect. In that case, try ANY new USB 2.0 device - even a camera or MP3 player. Is it recognized by the computer? If not, your USB port or driver is pooched. Here's where it gets tricky: If the 11R works on a different computer, AND a different 11R works on your computer, BUT your 11R DOESN'T work on your computer, then there's something else going on with how your computer recognizes your 11R, maybe a unique device ID on the Mac (is there such a thing?) that's corrupt or stuck in a given state? That's beyond me, and I'm not sure how to clear that...
Old 02-11-2012, 03:20 PM

I have no issues with 11 Rack and 10.7.3. In fact, all I had to do was just reinstall the expansion pack and before that the only issues were that all the expansion stuff wasn't there.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:54 PM

Before anything else, have you tried a reset of the 11R? If so, and it's still not detected in Pro Tools then I'd tend to suspect that it's pointing toward Pro Tools being corrupted. First, backup your sessions, and then I'd unistall Pro Tools via /Applications/Avid/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities and choose the Clean Uninstall Option. Then do the following:

a) Re-Install Pro Tools 10_73451
b) Re-Install Eleven Rack Drivers v1.05_73510
c) Re-install Eleven Rack Expansion Pack _73715
d) Repair Disk permissions and reboot
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM

Heyo,

Brand new 11R user here having some of the same problems being mentioned.

I opened and plugged in my 11R for the first time this morning, also installing Pro Tools 10. The 11R shows up in the Audio MIDI Utility, and I can select "Avid Eleven Rack" under Setup > Playback Engine in Pro Tools. Even with this, when I start a new session using one of the Eleven Rack templates I cannot hit record, because it says, "The track could not be record enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned".

The input is Eleven Rig L/R, but it's grayed out, and the output is Main Out L/R, which is not grayed out. When I try to change the input, my options under interface are either "Built-in Microphone 1-2 (Stereo)", or "Built-in Input 1-2 (Stereo)". So even though the 11R is selected as my playback engine, it isn't recognizing the 11R as my interface. I can use the Eleven Rack window to control the 11R - that's working fine - but I cannot for the life of me get any signal into Pro Tools to record. I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.3 on a plenty powerful machine, with Pro Tools 10.0.1.

I've repaired my disk permissions and rebooted, and that did not do anything to fix the issue. I think these are all the details I can provide - can anyone please help me??? Thanks in advance!

- Ryan Stewart
Old 02-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanstewartguitar View Post
Heyo,

Brand new 11R user here having some of the same problems being mentioned.

I opened and plugged in my 11R for the first time this morning, also installing Pro Tools 10. The 11R shows up in the Audio MIDI Utility, and I can select "Avid Eleven Rack" under Setup > Playback Engine in Pro Tools. Even with this, when I start a new session using one of the Eleven Rack templates I cannot hit record, because it says, "The track could not be record enabled because it doesn't have both an active input and output assigned".

The input is Eleven Rig L/R, but it's grayed out, and the output is Main Out L/R, which is not grayed out. When I try to change the input, my options under interface are either "Built-in Microphone 1-2 (Stereo)", or "Built-in Input 1-2 (Stereo)". So even though the 11R is selected as my playback engine, it isn't recognizing the 11R as my interface. I can use the Eleven Rack window to control the 11R - that's working fine - but I cannot for the life of me get any signal into Pro Tools to record. I'm running Mac OS X 10.7.3 on a plenty powerful machine, with Pro Tools 10.0.1.

I've repaired my disk permissions and rebooted, and that did not do anything to fix the issue. I think these are all the details I can provide - can anyone please help me??? Thanks in advance!

- Ryan Stewart
From my experience the included templates have the wrong I/O assigned to them. So your problem may be that you just need to Default your I/O

See here for an instructional video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Rjk5qVFEE8

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-12-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
Before anything else, have you tried a reset of the 11R? If so, and it's still not detected in Pro Tools then I'd tend to suspect that it's pointing toward Pro Tools being corrupted. First, backup your sessions, and then I'd unistall Pro Tools via /Applications/Avid/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities and choose the Clean Uninstall Option. Then do the following:

a) Re-Install Pro Tools 10_73451
b) Re-Install Eleven Rack Drivers v1.05_73510
c) Re-install Eleven Rack Expansion Pack _73715
d) Repair Disk permissions and reboot

This worked! THANK YOU!! I would hug you if we were in the same place. I have been obsessively trying to fix this all weekend. Excellent way to start a Sunday.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

No problem, now make some music!
Old 02-13-2012, 04:28 PM

So at this point I'm ready to return this evil box. It stopped talking to my computer (by the way is there a consequence to leaving the digital interface set to ReAmp in Pro Tools? This is the only thing I could think of as a cause - also that I turned on my 11R before turning my computer on). I did the whole reinstall deal (cred to sorcerer), but it didn't work this time. It just says eleven rack is N/A. Neat thing is that now it's telling me that my mic input is active, but I have nothing plugged into that.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM

a) Try another USB cable. If that doesn't work, attach it to a different port located on the physical computer! (credit to moff for suggestion).
b) Do a memory reset of the 11R! Note: This will cause you to loose your user presets if you've made any or have Sweetwater's Artist Presets installed etc...

It's not a problem turning the computer on first. The only thing you want to make sure of doing is to have the 11R fully booted up before booting into Pro Tools! I recommend before you send it back we try to get it working again. Once working lets leave the settings alone for a few days to see if everything remains good! If not, then by all means return it since that indicates something is definitely wrong with it! BTW, has anything else changed on your system like you added in another plug-in for Pro Tools etc?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:59 PM

Nothing new since my last fix. We can mark off a faulty USB cable. As far as resetting the 11R memory I will have to do that on the morrow. I am thinking I will call tech support about this tomorrow too.

P.S. I think I'm falling for you Sorcerer27.