Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2011, 02:04 PM

Default Re: 11R vs Axe FX II

I thought clean fender on axe 2 was nice but I can get it all shiney like that on my 11 so not sold by that. To be honest I got the 11 because I had nothing at all and I am not at all unhappy - I think this kind of stuff is just non sense.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanjazz View Post
...To be honest I got the 11 because I had nothing at all and I am not at all unhappy - I think this kind of stuff is just non sense.
Yes, you and the other are quite right. I have been extremely silly, but, I have been feeling narky ever since I got treated that way by those Axe FX users. And there's nothing like having a public forum to have a good ol' whinge .

At the end of the day, it's just a modeller and 'almost' as good as the real thing and a hell of a lot cheaper .

Schecter Hellraiser 7 Diamond - Ibanez RG7620
Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Old 09-18-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
At the end of the day, it's just a modeller and 'almost' as good as the real thing and a hell of a lot cheaper .
Almost?! Sorry. Not in my book.

Better.

The things that a modeler won't do are things that I don't particularly miss.

For reference, here are some "benefits" of tube amps:

- Making audience members "in the beam" wince.
- Giving me an excuse to send somewhere between $50 and $200 off to someone who hopefully tests the tubes that he buys from the same low-quality source to higher standards than his competitors (and finding out, usually, that he really doesn't).
- Making me wish that the sound guy gave a damn about mic'ing my amp for its best sound.
- Developing a rattle or hiss at the worst possible time.
- Never giving me quite the same performance from one session to the next.
- The inevitable tug-of-war between my need to run the amp at a suitable performance volume and the sound guy's need to control stage volume.

I've been through all of the above, which is why I haven't used a tube amp since 2006.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:45 PM

Don't get me wrong I love 11. And anyone can think whatever they want about it. And I get the irritation. Just let it go and focus on all the musical goodness you can create with that energy and your tools of choice instead
Old 09-19-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Boy, ain't that the truth.

Just jumped off the Apple bandwagon after twenty-five years for that (among others) reason.

Trying to channel my inner Luddite...
Off topic, but....

PCs are no better in that regard, just cheaper. And just wait till you start experiencing the Microsoft "treadmill" (as Steve Ballmer referred to it).

I went the other way - and I'm an IT guy. I switched to Mac not long after Vista came out. We needed a new computer for the house, and having had access to Vista from beta release to the adventures trying to implement the "finished" product at client sites, there was no way I wanted that POS at home. I decided that, if there was going to be a learning curve anyway, might as well be something that works and doesn't blue screen or require weekly reboots or a semi annual wipe-and-load. I've never been happier. My iMac works fine after 4 years. I may upgrade next year - or maybe not.

Like they say, once you go Mac, you never go back.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
PCs are no better in that regard, just cheaper. And just wait till you start experiencing the Microsoft "treadmill" (as Steve Ballmer referred to it).
Heh. Not gonna happen. I have a deep and abiding dislike of Microsoft, going way back to the days of MSDOS. I'll work for pay on MS software if there's no alternative, but would rather not. My home is, and always has been, Microsoft-free.

I'd been keeping my eye on Ubuntu Linux since its first appearance. The last few releases have convinced me that it's ready for prime-time - or at least "good enough".

The Apple treadmill is less compelling than the Microsoft treadmill, but it's still a treadmill. Give Apple time; they'll get better at it.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
Heh. Not gonna happen. I have a deep and abiding dislike of Microsoft, going way back to the days of MSDOS. I'll work for pay on MS software if there's no alternative, but would rather not. My home is, and always has been, Microsoft-free.

I'd been keeping my eye on Ubuntu Linux since its first appearance. The last few releases have convinced me that it's ready for prime-time - or at least "good enough".

The Apple treadmill is less compelling than the Microsoft treadmill, but it's still a treadmill. Give Apple time; they'll get better at it.
I like Ubuntu. I've used it both as a desktop and as a back-end server (especially great platform for virtualizing servers under VMWare). The other server OS I liked was Trustix. It was a lightweight server, not a "kitchen sink" install, and out of the box, quite secure by default. Made it perfect for webservers. Sadly, Trustix is no more.

Years ago, I used Red Hat as my desktop OS (before the "free" version was rebranded "Fedora"). At that time, I was sysadmin in a (pre-SuSE) Novell shop. I was able to find everything I needed to do everything I needed to do, including managing eDirectory and the servers themselves. There was even a cross-platform Groupwise client at that time. I and the other IT guy dreamed of one day being able to get the users off Windows and onto Linux. Maybe it's my familiarity with the *nix-like environment that made the switch to Mac so easy and rewarding.

Sorry for the derail - I return you to the regularly scheduled programming.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 AM

Anyone here who actually owns both?
Old 09-29-2011, 02:57 AM

I only own 11R (with expansion)
But heard and played the axe2 about two months ago.
I've tested it for 3-4 houres.

Some models sound better on 11R (plexi, and some others but i can't remember)
Some amp models sound better on axe2. I was very impressed with the trainwreck model. (I know it's not in 11R)
that sound was so good that I bought a Trainwreck Express clone for way less money than an axe2

Effects: Most effects sound better/ nicer in axe2

BUT: The sound of the spring reverb was beter in 11R. (more like a real stand alone fender reverb)
The one in axe2 was to nice.

The uni vibe is way beter in 11R. (deeper, more real)

IMHO offcourse.

I was going to buy an axe2, but then I ran against this very nice Gretsch white Falcon

So for now, the 11R and the TW express clone "will do".
Old 09-29-2011, 11:05 AM

@jezzbo:

did you try high gain amps on the axe? Were they better than the 11R's high gain sounds/amps?