Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2018, 12:42 AM

Default Re: Is it just me???!!! (issues with PT on PC)

In firm agreement with OP. I've legitimately been thinking over the past few weeks it might be time to switch to something else. I practically just bought my new PC solely as a work machine coming from Mac and everything is so glitchy. EuControl crashes everything and half of the time the keyboard service doesn't work so the macro keys don't work properly, Pro Tools itself always has fatal errors with Elastic Audio and crashes regularly, constant issues trying to get it to play nice with ASIO4ALL, the alternative Avid ASIO Driver doesn't work period, constantly gives me 'drive too slow' AAE errors (I'm running low track counts and off two SSDs, with the project drive being an NVMe - how is that possible?), etc etc etc. Really going to miss Pro Tools but I need to get back to work and stop playing debug games with it.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:16 AM

Just go Mac :) I spent many years on a PC and ProTools and there was always something going wrong somewhere down the line. I changed to Mac and all is well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-08-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Just go Mac :) I spent many years on a PC and ProTools and there was always something going wrong somewhere down the line. I changed to Mac and all is well now.

While the advice is nice, I really don't know if it's appropriate for OP or anyone else (me included) dealing with buggy Pro Tools on PC. I spend the same money per month as a Mac user (even still being a Mac user some of the time), and yet Windows Pro Tools is always super buggy and requires a ton of voodoo to get to work properly. I don't want to hear about how the Windows Audio environment is vastly different to Apple's - I know this, everyone knows this - but yet Ableton works fine cross-platform, even FL works fine cross-platform. I assume Studio One and Cubase also work fine cross platform as I have a few friends on those and never hear any complaints. I know unequivocally Pro Tools does not.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:30 PM

I am running three pcs(2 laptops, one tower)with 12.1 updated regularly now to 8.4 Native.on Win7(unsupported) with no real problems. I read this forum enough so at this point I think their are three main things that cause windows users issues(Mac is whole other kettle...)1:Memory/chipset,hardware mismatches/problems including graphics cards, 2: USB issues(drivers, type, power supply of, mfg of USB and 3: Plugin related issues. I have not included things like optimization(which is probably the most common cause of issues), user errors(wrong buffer for size of session, not commiting VI's or otherwise stressing Native system, etc.) because they aren't really system issues.
I can get 9173 but only if while playing back or recording I attempt to switch one CPU hog plugin for another CPU hog plug in. Doesn't crash, just stops and displays error message. Works fine after clearing message. I do not get the error message if I choose "no insert" then instantiate . The only other issues I have is the occasional buffer reset to get rid of noise/clicks(only with the focusrite interface so I suspect it's usb driver) and the occasional midi hangs which I found both easy to avoid most of the time by stopping the transport correctly and easy to correct by resetting the buffer. So those three I consider user errors or not pro tools or computer related. I read so many times of folks having issues and I wish I could just personally dig into their computer because from my personal experience PT Native works just peachy when the hardware is "Pro Tools" matched, the drivers are good, and everything is set up and optimized properly.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmivalentino View Post
In firm agreement with OP. I've legitimately been thinking over the past few weeks it might be time to switch to something else. I practically just bought my new PC solely as a work machine coming from Mac and everything is so glitchy. EuControl crashes everything and half of the time the keyboard service doesn't work so the macro keys don't work properly, Pro Tools itself always has fatal errors with Elastic Audio and crashes regularly, constant issues trying to get it to play nice with ASIO4ALL, the alternative Avid ASIO Driver doesn't work period, constantly gives me 'drive too slow' AAE errors (I'm running low track counts and off two SSDs, with the project drive being an NVMe - how is that possible?), etc etc etc. Really going to miss Pro Tools but I need to get back to work and stop playing debug games with it.
The OP does not understand or know about basic digital clocking. Thats not a Windows or Pro Tools issue. Lots of us have none of the issues you speak of. There. There are different reasons things like this could be happening. But it has never been recommended to buy any "off the shelf" machine. Avid has systems they approve, vedors such as myself build and fully support systems and will even log in and resolve problems. There is also some help around here to narrow in on issues. But lots of details would be needed to start tackling any of the above. I also have no idea why anyone trying to run a "professional" system would be messing with the Asio4all driver.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-08-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post

and yet I have seen you posting threads with problems

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-08-2018, 07:35 PM

12.4 running like a champ on PC, over here.

PC's will probably always have a higher percentage of variables to troubleshoot - whether it's a custom build or not - as there are so many more configurations out there in circulation (compared to Mac), at any given time.

Add to that the somewhat alarmingly high percentage of people who are simply convinced that any problem they have can't possibly be their own fault, and, well...

you get all this 'venting'.
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 05-08-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
and yet I have seen you posting threads with problems

Yes on unsupported version of OS 10.9.5 with ProTools 10HD, but with a supported OS I have no issues at all

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 05-09-2018, 04:25 AM

Default Is it just me???!!! (issues with PT on PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftalive View Post
12.4 running like a champ on PC, over here.

PC's will probably always have a higher percentage of variables to troubleshoot - whether it's a custom build or not - as there are so many more configurations out there in circulation (compared to Mac), at any given time.
I agree with this 100% >>>>

If you are going to run PT on a Laptop get a mac....100% of the time.

If you use a Win Desktop make sure you research prior to build and you can configure a computer, and can follow best known practices.

if you have no PC computer build savvy , then get a Mac Desktop.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 05-09-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdpar View Post
... or is Pro tools for windows the GLITCHIEST daw in the universe...
NO! I really hope with specific troubleshooting you can eventually figure out what the REAL problem is. Take the 'move to Mac' solution with a lot of salt.