Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 06-05-2014, 11:17 AM

Default PT 11.1.3 Crashing On Loading - Potential Plug-In Issues [RESOLVED]

I'm running PT 11.1.3 on a Mac OS X 10.8.5 and am having issues with the application crashing right on program start with the following message.

"Could not complete your request because No such file or directory (2) while creating "Plug-In Settings"."

Seems to be indicating some file system issue. The only way to fix it is by starting a previous version of Pro Tools (such as 11.0.x), which causes the database to be rebuilt. Once that is rebuilt, I can then start PT 11.1.3, which will go through another database rebuild, but starts up normally.

Without shutting down the system, I can close and start up PT again without any issues. One the system is shut down and started up again (the next day, or on a restart), the same problem occurs with PT 11.1.3 crashing on loading.

Had the same issue with PT 11.1.2, so I'm sure this must be something external to PT.

Anyone run into the issue? Could it be permissions that are preventing PT from accessing or creating the mentioned folder?

BTW, where is the PT database rebuilt on a Mac?
Old 06-05-2014, 01:36 PM

Default Re: PT 11.1.3 Crashing On Loading - Potential Plug-In Issues

Have you tried repair permissions?
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 06-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Have you tried repair permissions?
Was going to be the next step to further diagnose the issue. PT today started up without issues, so we'll see when it happens again whether this will address it.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM

Repairing permissions didn't resolve the issue.

Only way I can currently coax PT into starting up properly is by going back to running an older version of PT 11, letting it rebuild the database, closing it down, and then starting PT 11.1.3 and letting it update the database.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Admin Emeritus

See if anything in this thread helps.

I also find it odd that you would have more than one version of Pro Tools 11 on the same system. Since they have the same name, they could not both be in the Applications folder. So I'm wondering if you have more than one user account on the system, and possibly more than one location for your plug-in settings folder.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Paine View Post
See if anything in this thread helps.

I also find it odd that you would have more than one version of Pro Tools 11 on the same system. Since they have the same name, they could not both be in the Applications folder. So I'm wondering if you have more than one user account on the system, and possibly more than one location for your plug-in settings folder.
I can see one way it's possible to have two versions of PT11 on the same Mac: there are actually two Applications folders that are separate from each other. One is the 'normal' Applications folder at Mac HD/Applications you can see in the Dock and the second is in the user's Home folder at Mac HD/user name/Applications. Now I don't know if separate plugin settings folders are generated.

You don't need more than one user account on a system to have the two Applications folders. My daw iMac has just the one user account.

QAPLA!
Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM

I have the PT applications named by their versions. Since the Mac OS is able to recognize which application to pull resources from (within the packaged application contents), this is typically not a problem. I think both versions still share the same preferences (plist etc.), thus the workaround of having the database rebuilt when the different versions start up.

After repairing permissions didn't resolve the issue, this may or may not be a permissions issue. I also looked through the system log to see if any errors are reported.

Without getting Avid support involved, this may be wild goose chase at the moment.

Do we have to purchase a support incident to get support from Avid for stuff like this?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb_trm View Post
I have the PT applications named by their versions. Since the Mac OS is able to recognize which application to pull resources from (within the packaged application contents), this is typically not a problem. I think both versions still share the same preferences (plist etc.), thus the workaround of having the database rebuilt when the different versions start up.

After repairing permissions didn't resolve the issue, this may or may not be a permissions issue. I also looked through the system log to see if any errors are reported.

Without getting Avid support involved, this may be wild goose chase at the moment.

Do we have to purchase a support incident to get support from Avid for stuff like this?
But they can't be in the same Applications folder, no matter how you have them named.

To tell the truth I think your problems are due to having two versions of the same program in the same Applications folder. Delete them both and just install the latest one. I don't think you'll get any better response from Avid and you'll have wasted the money on an ASC.

QAPLA!
Old 06-15-2014, 01:05 PM

In my experience with this error, I have found that a simple reboot will fix this problem. I am running PT 11.1.3 on OS 10.9.3.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:22 PM

as much as there is plenty of help here for various issues and usually we all can help and problems get solved..

I for one. had a good experience and got for more than my moneys worth with an ASC...

Helped track down a few things that had eluded me.

So My experience is that these folks are not just in a tech support office in india following a spreadsheet and reading answers...

So if you spent hours trouble shooting and can't seem to track it down.... Maybe the 40 bucks is worth it.

and to be clear its not just 1 call... Mine was several calls and numerous emails and a few different people helping with various issues...

So again.. if you can't figure it out it may be worth the ASC.

Most often I find what I need here...and that rocks... but some times the screen share brings the ability to really see our particular set ups and go over things...

System
MacPro 12 Core • 24 G Ram • 10.12.6
PT 12.8.1 • Mbox 3 Pro • Plug-ins Verified
4 HD • OS ssd | Audio ssd | Sample Library ssd | Storage
MAXPower eSATA 6G Card • Wiebetech RTX100H-Q
Kensington Trackball Works/Orbit Optical
Bluetooth off/Airport on and off.