Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Default In 3 years ICON $100k+ consoles will stop being supported like Pro Control

Today if I still had Pro Control I'd keep it for a few more years since there is nothing wrong with Pro Tools 10. But I understand it is painful for PC owners not to be able to use those nice consoles with the latest versions of Pro Tools.

I just wanted to mention that it will be even more painful for ICON users, who might have spent on their consoles well above $100k, when in 3-4 years time their consoles will become obsolete with the newest PT versions. Let's hope Avid will not do that too soon.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).
Old 02-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Default Re: In 3 years ICON $100k+ consoles will stop being supported like Pro Control

Yes it's called a "write-off" as people who pay that kind of money for a controller know that it will have paid for itself after 10 years.

Never met anyone who bought an ICON just for fun. Its a tool and tools get written off after they done their job.

Everyone with an ICON including our studio knew it wouldn't work for ever,

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-02-2015, 12:48 PM

Default Re: In 3 years ICON $100k+ consoles will stop being supported like Pro Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yes it's called a "write-off" as people who pay that kind of money for a controller know that it will have paid for itself after 10 years.

Never met anyone who bought an ICON just for fun. Its a tool and tools get written off after they done their job.

I'm not talking about lasting forever, but I worked on audio equipment older than 20 years numerous times without any issues. Even some Digidesign live console over 10 years old seem to be fine and they are still earning money for their owners.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 02-02-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milaszewski View Post
Today if I still had Pro Control I'd keep it for a few more years since there is nothing wrong with Pro Tools 10. But I understand it is painful for PC owners not to be able to use those nice consoles with the latest versions of Pro Tools.

I just wanted to mention that it will be even more painful for ICON users, who might have spent on their consoles well above $100k, when in 3-4 years time their consoles will become obsolete with the newest PT versions. Let's hope Avid will not do that too soon.
I just checked my crystal ball...end of support on the Icon ES models will be...wait, let me get some Windex...my dog licked my crystal ball and his "puppy drool" is like concrete...

[wipe][wipe][wipe]

Ah...there we go...I predict the end of support will be 8/31/2018!

Actually, I just read a previous version of this about 1-1/2 years ago...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-02-2015, 02:38 PM

Pro Control worked in versions 9 and 10 which were released after "end of support" date.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Old 02-02-2015, 03:22 PM

ICONs should work until the 128 bit rewrite

and for the record I never liked the PC, nice first effort but if always felt clunky to me

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 02-02-2015, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post

I think you make a good point.

However, I think the OP has a good one too.

It looks like a lot of people are picking up Pro Controls recently. I'm sure a lot of people always dreamed about having this surface and now it's affordable but no longer supported creating a lot of frustration.

I'm personally looking at the SSL desks for the long run.

At my level, when I drop that kind of cash on something I need it to last one the long run.
Old 02-02-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
I think you make a good point.

However, I think the OP has a good one too.

It looks like a lot of people are picking up Pro Controls recently. I'm sure a lot of people always dreamed about having this surface and now it's affordable but no longer supported creating a lot of frustration.

I'm personally looking at the SSL desks for the long run.

At my level, when I drop that kind of cash on something I need it to last one the long run.
As I am in the process of switching to Cubase, which supports the MCU protocol, I would almost be willing to kill for an AWS 924 or, major drool-a-rama, a Duality SE, both with the new Delta faders.

But while SSL has done an admirable job of getting their gear to work with HUI on Pro Tools, it's still not quite as slick as the MCU implementation...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 02-03-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM

As Craig said, ICONs have made the transition to the 64bit rewrite and should be good for quite a long time. There's at least 4 years guaranteed but it will likely be more.

So that by the time it does stop working, it will have had a run from 2004 until probably 2019 or 2020, maybe more.

I'd say that's a pretty good run for a digital device.

You can't compare it to an SSL which is an all analog device that does one thing, mix audio.

Not to mention that SSL cost $450,000 in 1990 or whatever, and needed a $40,000 recapping in 2005 and will need another in 2020 etc...... oh, and don't forget the electricity and air conditioning you've paid for during that run.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
, I would almost be willing to kill for an AWS 924 or, major drool-a-rama, a Duality.....

Hehehe, it's out of my price range too, Bill
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.