Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Re: g5 boot problem...

I get the same hang on startup but not on the grey screen. I get it on the lighter blue screen. If I power down immediately , with the power button, I will have to go through the same process three or four times. If I power up, after a night of being shut down, and let the machine sit on the blue screen for two or three minutes and then power down, the machine will boot up right away. It will sit on the white screen for only about ten seconds, sit on the blue screen for about two seconds and then go directly to the login screen. I have replaced the battery and have booted from three different system drives, two with Tiger and one with Leopard. Nothing makes any difference.

I'm on a PPC G5 2G with HD 5 PT's 8 in a Magma expansion chassis. It was doing this even before I got the chassis a year ago though. I have gotten so used to this behavior, and the fact that no one I have spoken to has any idea about what is going on, that I stopped thinking about it until I saw this very helpful and informative thread. I have a Mac Pro on order but would still love to be able to solve this issue, as I want to use the PPC for my rig at home.

Anyone seen my version of this weird problem? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:55 PM

Lightbulb Re: g5 boot problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
I get the same hang on startup but not on the grey screen. I get it on the lighter blue screen.
With Leopard, this probably indicates that the WindowServer process is hanging (or crashing).
Quote:
If I power down immediately , with the power button, I will have to go through the same process three or four times. If I power up, after a night of being shut down, and let the machine sit on the blue screen for two or three minutes and then power down, the machine will boot up right away. It will sit on the white screen for only about ten seconds, sit on the blue screen for about two seconds and then go directly to the login screen.
Peculiar. It's as if the machine needs to warm up, but computers aren't like cars...or are they?
Quote:
I have replaced the battery and have booted from three different system drives, two with Tiger and one with Leopard. Nothing makes any difference.
This almost certainly eliminates the problem to hardware. Have you started up using Apple Hardware Test on the DVD that shipped with this machine and ran it in Extended Loop Mode overnight?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Re: g5 boot problem...

Jonathan, thanks so much for the info and the suggestions. Yah, I've always thought it was hardware related. I'll try running the test and report back on the results.