Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM

Default WAVES Protools7 update and Waves tech support

The current Waves Protools 7 update 1 installer does not work. Contact Waves tech and they should be able to guide you. When i spoke to then today they were able to reproduce the problem and they did come up with a fix.

I just wanted to say something about Waves tech support ( i do not work for the company in any capacity )............I know waves is getting a bad rap as of late over the WUP policy but with the support they gave me i think its totally justifed. I can't speak for everyone but, i did not mind paying the fee to update my wup after the support these guys gave me, Oren,Gal and Aylone.
They totally went the extra yard, calling me back in 15 minutes when they said they would, replying to the meassage i made with tech support the same day, E mailing the Fixed (in about 20 minutes ) PT7 update, giving me a refresher course with Ilok, staying on the phone with me step by step with every new install,etc. etc.
Like i said ,I can't speak for everyones WUP policy but for me, i would gladly renew any future WUP with the support they gave me.

Thank you Waves.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:41 PM

Default Re: WAVES Protools7 update and Waves tech support

And now if they would just make their product affordable, we'd all be happy
Old 11-10-2005, 11:25 PM

I think their tech support is excellent, even though it's prohibitive to ring them from Australia, they have actually offered to call me. Personally, I think WUP is worth the money.

***preparing to be flamed***
Old 11-11-2005, 12:02 AM

I also find that their support is just first class.
Well, maybe(surely) this kind of service justify the price.

For me it's just all the WUP stuff that was/is disappointing because i ended with a package that costs me every year (without choice). Not the kind of thing i like... I would prefer to have the choice to pay or not to pay the upgrade and when i want: depending what's added. And whatever the choice (upgraded or not): to keep the rights to authorize the plugs when my hardware change.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 AM

cmon - paying over and over again for updates in addition to an absurdly overpriced, mediocre product? i bought the platinum bundle and can honestly say that it is NO BETTER (with the exception of cpu usage, which for many, if not most, is not the be-all and end-all) than many plugs that cost a 1/10th, or 1/20th, or less, of the waves crap. it is an absolute farce, a rip-off of epic proportions and without a doubt the biggest waste of money in almost 30 years of doing this for a living,
Old 11-11-2005, 12:26 AM

like I said, prepare to be flamed.

cheaper than buying new hardware every year....
Old 11-11-2005, 11:48 AM

Waves is the industry leader in digital processing just like Digidesign is the industry leader in DAWs. You don't get that way by sounding bad.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion of course; but when you cram all this into one paragraph...
Quote:

cmon
absurdly
overpriced,
mediocre
honestly
be-all and end-all
crap.
absolute farce
rip-off of epic proportions
without a doubt the biggest waste of money in almost 30 years of doing this for a living,
...without explaining how all this could be true. The words, unsupported by any facts can only be seen as an over the top effort to be as controversial and provocative as possible. That is not the mark of a professional audio engineer. This is: http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/ind...fd9b#msg_89126

cerberus
Old 11-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
cmon - paying over and over again for updates in addition to an absurdly overpriced, mediocre product? i bought the platinum bundle and can honestly say that it is NO BETTER (with the exception of cpu usage, which for many, if not most, is not the be-all and end-all) than many plugs that cost a 1/10th, or 1/20th, or less, of the waves crap. it is an absolute farce, a rip-off of epic proportions and without a doubt the biggest waste of money in almost 30 years of doing this for a living,
Keping my WUP current certainly has been worthwhile for me. I am a Diamond Bundle/IR-1/QClone/APA owner, and was well pleased with the giveaway of the L3 a while back (for Diamond Bundle owners), and the recent Tune plug that came my way as a result of the update plan.

And come on. Overpriced? The Gold Bundle is 900.00 bux, and you get 20 usable plugins.
That's 50 bux a plug.
Waves plugs are industry standards for good reason. They sound great, and have aided the production of hit record after hit record.
These are simple facts, and the truth is the truth no matter what a few disgruntled whiners say.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Waves plugs are industry standards for good reason. They sound great, and have aided the production of hit record after hit record. These are simple facts, and the truth is the truth no matter what a few disgruntled whiners say.
Call me a whiner if you like, but your simple facts sound a lot like an opinion to me. I would say waves plugs are industry standard because they were one of the first companies to produce "decent" quality tools, and that's just what they in my opinion are: "decent". Waves does NOT sound "great"; perhaps "good", but there are better alternatives for most Waves plugs.

Most important plug types being EQ, compressor, limiter and reverb. Waves excels in none of them. They were first to market and that's it; they sound good, but not great.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Waves plugs are industry standards for good reason. They sound great, and have aided the production of hit record after hit record. These are simple facts, and the truth is the truth no matter what a few disgruntled whiners say.
Call me a whiner if you like, but your simple facts sound a lot like an opinion to me. I would say waves plugs are industry standard because they were one of the first companies to produce "decent" quality tools, and that's just what they in my opinion are: "decent". Waves does NOT sound "great"; perhaps "good", but there are better alternatives for most Waves plugs.

most important plug types being EQ, compressor, limiter and reverb. Waves excels in none of them. They were first to market and that's it; they sound good, but not great.

"Waves plugins have aided the production of hit record after hit record" isn't an opinion.
"Waves plugins sound great" may be an opinion, but it's an opinion that's based on hearing their stuff used on great sounding recordings, and it's also a WIDELY HELD opinion.

I have McDSP plugs, Bomb Factory, Sony, Focusrite, Joe Meek, Izotope, and others.
I tend to use the Waves compressors and EQs as much as I use the others.
For certain things I prefer them.
Waves IR-1 is the best reverb plug in I've ever heard.
That said, I often use RVerb too, even though with my APA I could essentially run as many IR-1's as I'd ever need. Again, certain applications call for certain tools.
Do you think I use the RVerb because I like inferior sounding reverbs?
Or would you posit that I simply don't know what I'm talking about.

I've worked with engineers in Detroit, Nashville, Chicago, and LA.
All of them use Waves stuff.
Do you suppose they all use Waves plugins only because Waves has been around the longest?
Unlikely, I'd say. But hey...that's just my opinion.