Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Believe me you are not the first to make this mistake.

But how are you expecting the sound output to work? When the Mbox Mini is your interface the sound will go out of its outputs and you need powered monitors connected there. You might try an aggregate device (if you don't understand that ask) with the built in outputs, but I'm not sure Express will work with that, and even if it did I'd not recommend doing that, and you may run into problems. Garage Band is different, it either used an aggregate device, or split its input and outputs (you are *not* actually hearing anything via the Mbox Mini if it came out of speakers plugged into your Mac).

Start by seeing if the Mbox Mini works with headphones if you have them.

Darryl
I had a feeling that was the issue. I thought I read somewhere that you could use your computers speakers with the mbox. Its no big deal though, I will just buy some monitors and headphones. I wish the bose speakers im using with my imac had the proper connections to use with the mbox. I was hoping to get around paying for monitors since I spent 2,000 on the iMac and 150 on the mbox lol.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Dear Daryll,

The thing is that after installing Mavericks, Mbox mini didn't work anymore.
Even After installing the new package 1.2.0
I run Ableton live 9.0 and not Pro Tools. Anyhow, the mbox's output is not working. Only the input (the mic) i can record to any software through the mbox but the output is still not working on any software. The Mbox is recognised by the pc/software, but the sound is not coming out. The problem is with the update i think.
What other information you need to help me solve this?
Old 11-16-2013, 10:55 PM

Dear Jay,

I run Ableton live 9.0 and not Pro Tools. Anyhow, the mbox's output is not working. Only the input (the mic) i can record to any software through the mbox but the output is still not working on any software. The Mbox is recognised by the pc/software, but the sound is not coming out. The problem is with the update i think.
Old 11-16-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphghayad View Post
Dear Daryll,

You need to describe clearly what your setup is. Lots of stuff I mentioned before applies equally to you so you could have tried that.

What exact speakers/monitors are connected to exactly what ports on the Mbox Mini?

Do the meters inside Ableton move when playing audio?

Does iTunes output audio to the Mbox Mini?

What audio devices show up in the OS X Audio/MIDI setup Utility (post a screenshot)

Post a screenshot of the Control Panel prefpane for the Mbox Mini (with it connected, even if it does not say connected).

You have an Mbox 3 Mini right? You are absolutely sure it is an Mbox 3 family and sure its a mini (attach a photo if not absolutely sure).

And you have installed the Mbox 3 Mini driver not the Mbox 3 driver.

kextstat | grep com\.avid

and paste the output here.

Have you tried redownloading the Mbox 3 Mini driver again and reinstalling it (and all the exact stuff I suggested to the other user?). You did followed the right driver install procedure right and installed the driver with the Mbox disconnected/powered off?

What exact Mac do you have (date/name/model code).

Got your backup handy ready to roll back from Mavericks if you can't fix this?
Old 11-17-2013, 12:01 AM

Dear Darryl,

here's the answer to your questions

1.What exact speakers/monitors are connected to exactly what ports on the Mbox Mini?
Genelec 6010 A connected through the monitor output Left & Right

2.Do the meters inside Ableton move when playing audio?
Yes the meters move

3.Does iTunes output audio to the Mbox Mini?
Yes it is set for the Mbox mini

4.What audio devices show up in the OS X Audio/MIDI setup Utility (post a screenshot)
Screenshot attached

5.Post a screenshot of the Control Panel prefpane for the Mbox Mini (with it connected, even if it does not say connected).
Screenshot attached, while playing on itunes

6.You have an Mbox 3 Mini right? You are absolutely sure it is an Mbox 3 family and sure its a mini (attach a photo if not absolutely sure).
I am sure it is an mbox mini 3

7.And you have installed the Mbox 3 Mini driver not the Mbox 3 driver.
Yes i installed the mbox 3 mini driver
kextstat | grep com\.avid

and paste the output here.
130 0 0xffffff7f82541000 0x1b000 0x1b000 com.avid.usb.mboxmini.driver (1.3.0) <109 37 5 4 3>

Have you tried redownloading the Mbox 3 Mini driver again and reinstalling it (and all the exact stuff I suggested to the other user?). You did followed the right driver install procedure right and installed the driver with the Mbox disconnected/powered off? Yes i did

What exact Mac do you have (date/name/model code). Macbook Pro Version 10.9 Processor 2.53 Ghz intel core 2 Duo Memory 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Got your backup handy ready to roll back from Mavericks if you can't fix this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OSX Output.jpg (65.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Mbox interface.jpg (77.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg mboxmini.jpg (36.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 02:36 AM

Ralph, I have exactly the same issues as you with my mbox mini and it is widely reported in other threads and across the internet effecting the mbox and other avid hardware. The Driver simply doesn't work!

I also noticed that the uninstaller included with the 1.2 Driver does not uninstall anything! Avid have dropped the ball here, by releasing 11.0.3 and the new driver lots of users assumed it was ok to move to mavericks, it is free after all!

Sadly this is not the case, Avid really need to sort this out asap.

Only solution for me was to roll back to 10.8.5 in which the mbox mini works just fine.

Monterey 12.4

Mac Studio M1 Max 32Gb

Pro Tools 2022.6
Old 11-17-2013, 03:28 AM

Hi all, I have updated the Mbox mini 3rd gen driver to the latest, also not working, I test it also with just a headphone through the Mbox Mini, and still not working (no sound from everything)

on the Mbox Mini Panel from System Pref, it says "streaming" but no sound at all

-iMac 2010 (i think or maybe 2009)
-OSX Maverick
Old 11-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Default Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steviebhoye View Post
Ralph, I have exactly the same issues as you with my mbox mini and it is widely reported in other threads and across the internet effecting the mbox and other avid hardware. The Driver simply doesn't work!

I also noticed that the uninstaller included with the 1.2 Driver does not uninstall anything! Avid have dropped the ball here, by releasing 11.0.3 and the new driver lots of users assumed it was ok to move to mavericks, it is free after all!
There are multiple posts in this thread with "exactly the same problem" claims that are clearly not exactly the same. If you want help here we need to know what specifically is happening, details of your setup, and what exact troubleshooting you have tried, "The sky is falling" does not get problems solved. Start at the "Help us help you, read this before posting..." Link above on this page.

The uninstaller does not work on Maverics! Really! Well that was *exactly* one of the reasons Avid very quickly and very clearly came out and said do not install those drivers on Maverics, and this is one of the main things they fixed in the driver update. If you have an old driver installed then I would try to uninstall it by using the 1.2 driver uninstaller (I don't know if that will work or not) or uninstalling by hand, and if that does not work then roll back to the full image backup you made, the one you surely made before installing drivers and software on an OS release that Avid clearly advised users not to......

I have suggested a bunch of things to try and a bunch of other questions to folks with what may (or may not) be similar problems, did you try them? how about answering this questions here.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 11-17-2013 at 10:11 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Dear Darryl,

here's the answer to your questions

//snip//
3.Does iTunes output audio to the Mbox Mini?
Yes it is set for the Mbox mini
//snip//
Thanks for all the clear replies.

So I misunderstood, I thought the MBox Mini was not working at all? But audio output from iTunes is actually working through the Mbox Mini and Genelec? But not from Ableton? What about other apps like Garage Band?
Old 11-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Mavericks 10.9 & Mbox mini update still not working

Quote:

4.What audio devices show up in the OS X Audio/MIDI setup Utility (post a screenshot)
Screenshot attached
You attached a screenshot of the OS X Systems Preferences Sounds Prefpane, I was after a screenshot of the Audio Midi Setup Utility's Audio window (it's a separate program in /Applications/Utilities).