Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Change tempo on recorded tracks

Thanks PMF. I tried that. One time it changed a section of the song's tempo. But I really don't know what I did different that time than the previous time or the next time.
The two grey half arrows that you can divide and mark off sections is always confusing. One time I had the tempo at 200, then I set it to 300 on the next section, and then more....just as a test so I would be sure to notice that changes. Those numbers showed in every tempo window I could find. Yet the song still played at 120.
When the "Help" sections say to select the track...does that mean highlight it? I've read Help sections in Pro Tools, in the document, on line, and watched videos but I can't seem to get it right. I still haven't been able to select the click track and change the tempo -- from start to finish -- from 120 bpm to anything else. One time I got a section to change from 120 to 200, as I mentioned above, but it was only a small section of the song, and I was not able to duplicate what I did to even get that far.
Thanks for the reply.
JGP
Old 03-17-2014, 08:47 PM

Right, not sure why you seem to be having so much trouble with tempo. Here's a test: change all your tracks to "ticks" then enable Elastic Audio on all tracks using the "Varispeed" algo, now - in grid mode - now drop the cursor anywhere on the timeline on any track and click - make sure you can see the flashing insertion marker - then go to your ruler at the top of the edit window and click on the + in the tempo ruler, add a new tempo, move the cursor and repeat several times changing the tempo each time. If EA is working and has proccessed your audio and all tracks are set to "Varispeed" the tempo should change and the audio should follow also. If you expand the tempo ruler and grab the pencil tool you can even draw some weird and wonderful tempo changes into the ruler and PT will follow.

Rerport back and good luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 PM

Thanks PMF. I can set it to Ticks, I can set new tempos, and it may say 240 but it still plays at 120. The tempo never changes.

I'm not getting anywhere with this and now it's wasting time for the ones who reply. I thought it would be a few clicks in a few seconds and done. Maybe it is, but I still can't find the right combination.

I don't have a clue why it says it's set to 240, but it never plays at 240. Nothing ever changes from 120, except that one time for a few seconds, and I have no idea what I did different then that I haven't tried to do every time I sit down with Pro Tools. I've clicked everything I see to click, I've gone through the menus up top, and on and on. I'm just wasting time now.

I'll sit down with someone who knows how to do this and let them show me on my computer sometime later on. Or maybe call an engineer friend and have them walk me through it step by step when we both have PT11 open with a click track, and I can see exactly where everything is, what to click, and see if there is anything else I need to know about it.

Thanks again.

JGP
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 AM

Here's a link that helped me. It showed exactly where some of these controls are located and what they look like.
http://www.loopmasters.com/articles/2842

I finally got it to work. Here's what I did.

1. With the grabber tool I clicked on the track I wanted to change the tempo on.
2. At the far left of the track is a tiny icon under the word "Dyn." I clicked it and it gave a menu and I selected "Ticks." There is a pictorial in the link above that shows where this is located. It's a small icon to click.
3. To the immediate right of that icon is an even smaller one. I clicked on it and got a menu and selected "Rhythmic." It shows it in the pictorial also.
4. I went to the transport (start, stop, rewind, etc.) and on the bottom right of that box is an icon that represents what looks like an orchestra conductor. I clicked it to deactivate it. Right above there is the BPM (beats per minute). I changed it from 120 bpm to 240. I wanted a very big and noticeable difference.

I saw the track change its wave size and shorten up. I clicked Play and it worked fine.

I did notice that if I wanted to change more than one track that I had to do it all at the same time. I had to select each track, and go through the above procedure for each track. When you are finished they should all be the same at what ever tempo you typed in.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it, and with more options, etc. But this is how I did it and I accomplished what I wanted to. Some of the icons are absurdly small and very hard to see. I can't tell what many of them mean. I just know to click on them. The one that represents Elastic is the smallest icon to click I've ever seen. Doing all this on a laptop made it even more difficult to see.

I tried to write this in concise, plain, simple English. I tried to not assume the beginner knew anything. I hope with the link, pictorials, and these four steps that the beginner can learn how to change the tempo in a few minutes, And without having to wade through all these manuals and help sections that often leave me more confused than enlightened.

I'm sure there are plenty of PT 11 users here that will call to my attention any errors I might have made so I can correct them.

JGP

Last edited by JustGotPaid; 03-18-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:59 AM

I guess my previous post providing a solution to your problem was invalid. obviously Pro tools 11 differs from Pro tools 9 as to changing tempo. I seldom offer assistance to anyone on this forum as my own accrued knowledge of Pro Tools is barely above beginner stage. Just thought I might be helpful.
Old 03-18-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks Terry. I'm sure there are many ways of doing it. The method I described may not be the preferred and standard way, or maybe it is, but it's what worked for me.

In my experience with anything, the manual's are usually written in such technical jargon that they can be more confusing than helpful. You usually have to learn the nomenclature vocabulary first, to then understand what it means.

Relating to Pro Tools, when I'm in a studio and have a question for an engineer it's rarely, if ever, explained the way the manual explains it. Plus, being able to actually watch what they do makes it all real.

And the standard ole line of "Read the manual, you idiot," has never explained anything. If all we had to do was read a manual there would be no need for this forum. I had already done searches, read articles, read some related Q and A's here, and watched videos before I even asked anything here. But since I was admonished again to go back and read the manual and go through the Help section, I did. And I didn't find one blankety-blank thing in there that explained anything to me in a meaningful way. If the manual and Help section is so great then no one would ask questions here. And they sure wouldn't ask questions here after they had already consulted the manual and Help section.

The other problem for someone trying to learn the elastic mode of PT11 is that the icons are ridiculously small. I never even noticed one of the very small icons on my small laptop the first few times I tried to learn the elastic feature. The link I gave was the only thing I ever found that actually showed it, and where it's located.

I'm a musician and songwriter, not an engineer, so most of this stuff is gobbledy-gook to me anyway.
JGP
Old 03-18-2014, 07:56 PM

Hmmm... pretty much the method I described, maybe I should have drawn a picture and no, the process is the same in PT9 as in 11.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:21 PM

We love pictograms. What is the old saying? A picture is worth a thousand words? Definitely so in the techie world.
I wonder if it is scientifically possible to make the "elastic" icon any smaller.
Thanks again.
JGP
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 AM

Hey PMF Media. Now I'm confused! I can't see how your method of changing tempo is in any way the same as the method I explained regarding Pro Tools 9! Can you explain. The method I referred to makes no mention of Elastic Audio. Thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Hey PMF Media. Now I'm confused! I can't see how your method of changing tempo is in any way the same as the method I explained regarding Pro Tools 9! Can you explain. The method I referred to makes no mention of Elastic Audio. Thanks
Hey Terry, the method is identical between 9 & 11 is all I meant, your explanation was valid as far as setting tempo to manual mode, I added the EA scenario as a demonstration of how to make radical tempo changes AND alter the pitch so that the changes would be ABSOLUTELY apparent.
The frustrating thing for me was that JustGotPaid was obviously not following either of our suggestion and simply didn't even say so all the while giving the impression that his system was broken, oh well