Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 06-03-2009, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Originally Posted by kbruff
They are a direct response to the lackings of other high inertial (slow changing) DAWS, which completely fail to respond to the ever changing world of music creation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
Did someone yell "Iceberg"
Or Glacier.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 06-04-2009, 04:21 AM

Reason (and now Reason version 5 called 'Record'...hum...trickey marketing going on here folks...very trickey indeed) is rather an odd beast.

I find that it handles an amazing number of tracks...so really tons of complex material can be laid down without any real fear of cpu limitaions....certainly not the case with PT LE (I love PT and need it for my video work so I'm not trolloing!!!) but Reason is rather simply incredible at what it does.(a very very quick schetch pad)

Self contained (at the insiration level) says it all..least from my humble opinion...cept for that no audio recording limitation...until now (or rather Sept 9) with Record on the horizon.

everthing I do in reason rewires into PT for audio recording and final mix down...cause PT is still my preferred system for completing a tune...! I bring Reason in as a stero pair, ditch the rex drums and then add strike and velvet (as well as any other VST) then record my vocals and guitar through PT - done.

a perfect companion for PT...most everything of substance has a place...side by side

food for thought

Cheers
S
Old 06-04-2009, 05:11 AM

^^^^ Filmusic.
I am not familiar with rewiring Reason into Protools, although i was aware that you can bring in the tracks from Reason.
Could you please explain a little more regarding this.
I am trying to understand how you eliminate the Rex drums if you brought it into Protools as a Stereo pair ( i am assuming it is like a stereo sub mix with other instruments Subs, Maelstrom etc)
Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 PM

Hi,

There is a very solid explanation in the PTLE owners manual (I could not explain things with any greater accuracy)...so please give it a read - if you are still having any trouble we can skype and I can walk you through it.)

PTLE comes with Reason adapted...so right from the get-go Digidesign is saying this is a good fit!

Anywho...I compose in Reason (about 30% of the time) cause it's really really fast. I can jam tons of parts together quickly... then I bring Reason into PT by way of rewire - then I go back to reason and mute my drum tracks...then I add Strike (usuall Velvet!) gtr and vocals.

I could mute my drums prior to rewiring into PT...but sometimes if I'm going for a guitar part I like to have a beat going - beats a freaking metronome ...hands down...

It's a strong work flow....I do the same with Reasin into Live as well.

Reason fails with drums (IMHO) as all they give you is a few devices capable of playing back Rex files...while Strike is 'smart' check it out - I swear buy it.

It will be interesting to see if Record offers drag and drop rex files...if so...then using mutiple rex files EASILY will add value ...cause then programs like drumcore (which can export Rex files) will make staying within Props a reality...now onto thay VST issue with Record...ha ha...there's always a something missing from brilliance..

I hope this was of some help.

Cheers
Stephen
Old 06-07-2009, 03:52 AM

3.02 is up.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelldammit View Post
3.02 is up.
wow these guys are good, very detailed bug fixes - man this software is working so nicely!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmusic View Post
Hi,

Reason fails with drums (IMHO) as all they give you is a few devices capable of playing back Rex files...while Strike is 'smart' check it out - I swear buy it.

It will be interesting to see if Record offers drag and drop rex files...if so...then using mutiple rex files EASILY will add value ...cause then programs like drumcore (which can export Rex files) will make staying within Props a reality...now onto thay VST issue with Record...ha ha...there's always a something missing from brilliance..

Cheers
Stephen
i really would not compare reason rex files and strike in the same sentence. completely different sport propellerhead as being the "inventor" of rex files (for cubase oddly enough) i think did a perfect job for playing back rex files with the rex player. assigning each slice to a keyboard key automatically is genious imo. simple pitch control, very basic. but that is basically all it is, not an actual drum kit player.

the reason drum kits refill i always thought it sounded great and used it TONS until i got heavy into bfd a few years back. sound wise i think drum kits smokes strike hands down but was of course limited to nnxt and your knowledge of manipulating midi.

strike is built for nothing but playing drums. so control of groove, kit pieces, "feel" control of mics, just more drummer oriented things. but strike closing off its sound bank to any "outside" samples is the biggest mistake they made and HUGE mistake at that.

bfd 2 and strike would be a logical comparison, though i am not getting into it here......

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Red face Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

People complain so much about Pro tools not being an open platform for all the audio interfaces. I can't see this really taking off like they dreamt. Owners of renown audio plugs will not be able to load them in Record! Big problem. Plus they like to think small and tiny. It doesn't take long to get tired of mousing around that mixer. No endorsement fron SSL. Nice move. If Samplitude did this with their mixer i would see this being a potential competitor for pro tools le. POTENTIAL !!! I see all these other daws always trying to dethrone the King and always seem to miss the very basics. That is what being malicious does. It clouds the mind. Great concept though i give them that. I love how the dongle operate. This reminds me of the fruityloops and reason wars...

http://www.digstation.com/ArtistAlbu...=WayneDawkins2
http://cdbaby.com/cd/..WayneDawkins