Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: THAT AGGRIVATING WHITE NOISE!!!!!

Digidesign receommends you DO NOT defrag, but rather copy the files from the audio drive, format the audio drive with a cluster size of 32 k (or even 64 k) and then copy the files back. And 25 gigs left on a 250 gig drive is way too full. You need to archive some or a lot of those sessions so you have (lots) of room on your audio drive. You probably don't want to get beyond 70% or 75% Used Space. As the drive gets full the heads have to work harder just as they do when the information is defragmented. Drives are way cheap these days, no need to use every last byte.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM

it helped some but I really think it may be a bug in7.4 b/c I didn't have the prob til then; I've trashed everything, I defrag my drives on a regular & it has nut'n to do with buffer;I don't have any demo plugs & it still happens; on certain sessions now but its there even if its jus one session why is it there....

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 12-15-2007, 09:23 PM

Buffer size is set at 1500 ms; Lever 2 (default) with cache size = "normal". H/W buffer size is 512 Samples, 4 Processors and CPU Usage limit is set to 85%. I am defragging my C drive overnight and have moved 50 GB of session files off of the audio drive. I have been recording to this drive for 2 years without any previous issues.

Thanks again for your help
Old 12-15-2007, 10:40 PM

You probably tried this already. But, if you move or copy this session to a different drive, preferably internal, does it go away?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Avid

Could we possibly get a copy of the problematic session?

You can send a link to transfer [at] digidesign [dot] com. Please reference this thread in the message.

If you need DigiDelivery information to send us the session, please let us know by sending an email to the address above.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: THAT AGGRAVATING WHITE NOISE!!!!!

i believe i'm having similar problems. i'm pretty certain it's not session-specific. the reason i think this: my dell came with windows xp on it. protools 7.3 ran great on it. when 7.4 came out, i upgraded in xp and it still ran great. so i figured it was finally time to go to vista. (this is on the original mbox, fwiw.)

i removed my xp system disk and installed vista from scratch on a brand new drive, so that if anything went wrong, i still had my xp system ready to go. i installed 7.4 in vista, got all my plugins finally set up.

now, when running the same exact sessions, running from a secondary internal data drive, i experience this static noise intermittently, which almost sounds like scratches and pops on vinyl, but only when running the sessions from vista. it's not always in the same place on playback, and there are little specks of the noise during recording, and it gets recorded to the track. however, when i put the xp disk back in, and run the same identical session, there is no noise on playback (beside the noise on the tracks that got recorded while in vista).

please fix this, digi!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Could we possibly get a copy of the problematic session?

You can send a link to transfer [at] digidesign [dot] com. Please reference this thread in the message.

If you need DigiDelivery information to send us the session, please let us know by sending an email to the address above.
Hey guys I sent one of the few sessions that i'm having that problem with from my YOUSENDIT acct. its in to different emails b/c its over 2gig so i split in in half; it's called WE'VE COME....

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY

Old 12-19-2007, 05:40 AM

The most frustrating issue with this bug is that it occurs mostly during playback but doesn't actually get written to the track. However, occasionally it does get recorded like this clip right here. MP3 of White Noise in session file . Since I have moved 50 GB off of my audio drive I have not had this problem.....yet.

Thanks for your help,
Doug
Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM

Sadly, this beast has reared it's ugly head in my latest session. This time I was able to determine that the noise is occurring on the record enabled track because I had a vocal aux bus track with reverb in the mix. When the white noise occurred, I could hear the reverb on it. It did not record on any of the tracks but played back in random placed during several takes before I shut it down for the night.

I hope you can find a fix soon.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 PM

One of the sessions I really needed a fix on I dragged it to another drive & it stopped; however, when I made a new session & imported it to that drive I still had it...don't know...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY