Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-26-2020, 04:54 PM

Default Pro Tools Carbon Laptop Fan Noise

Just got my new Pro Tools Carbon interface and this thing is incredible. Only problem I'm having is once I open a session I'm noticing my laptop fan running all the time at a higher level than usual. Even when the session is blank with nothing in it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the AVB setup. I've searched around and haven't seen anyone else saying they are having the same problem so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone has heard of or experienced this.

Also, before my Carbon I had a UA Apollo X8 and was using the same version of PT and everything was fine. The fans only started running more once I got this new interface.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 11-26-2020, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Carbon Laptop Fan Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris August View Post
Just got my new Pro Tools Carbon interface and this thing is incredible. Only problem I'm having is once I open a session I'm noticing my laptop fan running all the time at a higher level than usual. Even when the session is blank with nothing in it. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the AVB setup. I've searched around and haven't seen anyone else saying they are having the same problem so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone has heard of or experienced this.

Also, before my Carbon I had a UA Apollo X8 and was using the same version of PT and everything was fine. The fans only started running more once I got this new interface.

Thanks!
Chris
What does Activity Monitor say? I don't know anything about the Carbon but, I would look at both Pro Tools and the coreaudiod processes, see if they're chewing up a lot of CPU.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:00 PM

Hey! The top usage is "kernel_task" and the next one is "coreaudiod (Not Responding" and that one is in red. I've restarted a couple times and it keeps showing up like that. Could possibly be an Apple call I should make. It just wasn't doing that until I installed the Carbon interface. It uses the Audio/Midi setup in a way I've never seen before.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:30 PM

Perhaps give the SMC a reset on your laptop - https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201295
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:49 PM

How about looking in macOS Activity Monitor (not the Pro Tools meters) and seeing if the CPUs are busy.
Old 11-27-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris August View Post
Hey! The top usage is "kernel_task" and the next one is "coreaudiod (Not Responding" and that one is in red. I've restarted a couple times and it keeps showing up like that. Could possibly be an Apple call I should make. It just wasn't doing that until I installed the Carbon interface. It uses the Audio/Midi setup in a way I've never seen before.
Only having watched a bunch of video's , (Have no clue why it would make a difference on triggering the fan) BUT as far as Audio midi,,,,it seems I remember one video review or webinar, mentioning there should be two Carbon devices showing up in the input device section of audio midi .
One for core audio for use with third party applications (like playing back youtube)
And one dedicated exclusively for PT.

Ah yes just found a reference .
From Sound On Sound article :
"Carbon actually shows up as two devices in Audio MIDI Setup and in System Preferences. This is no accident: one of the two devices is available only to Pro Tools, while the other allows Mac OS itself and any Core Audio applications to access Carbon.Nov 12, 2020"

Be really interested to see if and how you resolve this,,, as I have a Carbon and new iMac coming

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 11-27-2020 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:53 AM

Update: So far I've tried everything I've found on the internet and still haven't solved it. My guess is "coreaudiod (not responding)" is the issue. I've seen from searches this has been an issue with Pro Tools in the past.

I submitted a case to Avid and I'll write back here once I hear from them.

Thanks!
Chris
Old 11-27-2020, 02:42 PM

Tried removing then re-Installing the driver?
Sounds like the new dual - Hybrid Engine is Core-Audio-Like but not native to macOS.
t
Old 11-28-2020, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitT View Post
Tried removing then re-Installing the driver?
Sounds like the new dual - Hybrid Engine is Core-Audio-Like but not native to macOS.
t
It's my understanding there is no separate driver download (is that not correct ?)

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 11-28-2020, 10:22 AM

Too new for most to know.
When opening install of Pro Tools
A driver installer (if one) would be in a separate folder there.
?install read me document?