Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Default Pro Tools 10 compatible drum pad, beat machine, MPC, etc.. software

I have Pro Tools 10 that I have received through my school, Full Sail University, and I have been doing some research on drum pads, beat machines, MPC or how ever they are referred to as, software that will be compatible with Pro Tools 10. I am going to break down and buy a controller but for now, and maybe longer than I expect, I need to find a software that I can use with Pro Tools and use the keys on my Macbook Pro as the controller. I have tried using the Midi keyboard the school sent me also but it does not give the same sounds every time unless I smash the note hard every single time I play it. Any information is helpful and I hope that I can help others with questions seeing as I wouldn't be creating a post if I had found the answer.

Thank you for your time,

fbic333
Old 11-02-2012, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 compatible drum pad, beat machine, MPC, etc.. software

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbic333 View Post
I have tried using the Midi keyboard the school sent me also but it does not give the same sounds every time unless I smash the note hard every single time I play it.

fbic333
If you are talking about velocity curves, some controllers can be adjusted to read full velocity at each key press. Do some research on your model to see if that is possible. Also, velocity can be adjusted in the Pro Tools midi editor window. Keep in mind that the loss of dynamics doesn't always sound right/good in your drum programming.

As a side note, GarageBand can be handy when on the go and you want to lay down some drum patterns with just your MacBook's keys.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbic333 View Post
I have Pro Tools 10 that I have received through my school, Full Sail University, and I have been doing some research on drum pads, beat machines, MPC or how ever they are referred to as, software that will be compatible with Pro Tools 10. I am going to break down and buy a controller but for now, and maybe longer than I expect, I need to find a software that I can use with Pro Tools and use the keys on my Macbook Pro as the controller. I have tried using the Midi keyboard the school sent me also but it does not give the same sounds every time unless I smash the note hard every single time I play it. Any information is helpful and I hope that I can help others with questions seeing as I wouldn't be creating a post if I had found the answer.

Thank you for your time,

fbic333

We have tried out the MPC Fly and the software is free to download if you have an Ipad2! It is the BOMB! So cool and sound and feels like a Akai
MPC machine = awesome and as the software is free that controller wont be so hard on the wallet as a used ipad2 goes for what, like 200 bucks or so.

Awesome controller and really nice GUI and really fun to use :)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM

Thanks guys. Those suggestions help alot. I never thought to use Garageband but I'll give it a try. Thanks for the idea about the iPad app. I need to get one of those one day and I will look that up. The reason I wanted to use my Macbook keys is so that I can get some faster beats and with my Midi keyboard speed can be limited.