Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2008, 06:02 PM

Default MacBook Pro 15.4\'\' Compatibility

I have an Mbox2 running Pro tools LE 7.3. I am looking at buying a new Laptop for running PT. Will this configuration work for me? I know the new OSX 10.5 Leopard isnt supported yet, I just need some better direction. Please help!

2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

Does anyone have any positive experience using this particular configuration or something similar?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:25 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro 15.4\'\' Compatibility

Yes

Though it's hit or miss for each user. If this new system isn't the one you'll be relying on, at least until the digi update for Leopard is posted, you might be fine. Keep in mind some plugs (like waves) aren't compatible with Leopard either, but that plugs such as McDSP are.

Are you thinking of selling the system you have now, to upgrade? You may wish to hold off a bit longer, until everything you have shakes hands and plays nice.

Just imagine when 7.4.x works incredibly well with 10.5.x, on all Digi platforms (002, 003, Mbox, etc).

Oh, the humanity!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:31 PM

What system(computer/OS) are you running right now and how is it working for you?
Right now I have a lame old Dell inspiron laptop that is worthless for PT. I thought going Mac would be good, but it is soooooo frustrating that Digi is not compatible to 10.5 yet, I know, I know I am preaching to the choir.

Thanks for the fast response.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:38 AM

All my system stats are in my signature.

I have a 250GB 5400 rpm internal HD for the laptop, but I don't write to that. I have an external 500GB Glyph FW drive for that (and for samples, like for Kontakt 2, Strike, and Structure). I use the Mbox 2 Pro with the new laptop now, as I had been using that with the Mac Pro. Since getting the 003Factory, I switched setup (Mac Pro with 003, laptop with Mbox2 Pro).

The laptop setup works well for me so far. I haven't really pushed it. I don't have many plug ins yet (Waves, McDSP, etc)...I've only seen (so far) compatibility issues with expand! and velvet (being that the screens are yellowed, but the instruments work fine). I can deal with that minor issue.

You may have similar issues as well. Frustrating now? Yes, it can be. But will it pay off in the near future? Count on it.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Avid

Quote:

The laptop setup works well for me so far. I haven't really pushed it. I don't have many plug ins yet (Waves, McDSP, etc)...I've only seen (so far) compatibility issues with expand! and velvet (being that the screens are yellowed, but the instruments work fine). I can deal with that minor issue.
You could try installing the latest versions of Xpand! and Velvet - which have been updated for the HD release of Leopard and may fix the graphic issue on your sytem while waiting for the LE update.

You can find the info on this page under 'Pro Tools Plug-In Compatibility with Leopard':

http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navi...&categoryid=36