Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Is my M-Box fried???

Just noticed today that ALL the lights on my M-Box were lit up. Tried to open ProTools and got a message that the hardware couldn't be found. I tried rebooting, plugging into a different USB port and reloading the driver, but neither solution worked.

I can't imagine what might have happened since it was working fine a few days ago when I last used it.

I've only had it a few months so I'm relatively new to all the equipment nuances, but this does not look good to me.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Carolyn
Old 04-21-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Is my M-Box fried???

Try running the firmware updater.C:\Program files\Common Files\Digidesign\Protools\Protools Utilities\...there is a blue icon called Mbox firmware updater click on that.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM

Thank you Bazzle, you're an angel! Everything's back to normal now.

I hate asking stupid questions and being an obvious novice, but I guess it's unavoidable when you're learning something totally new. I sure don't remember reading about the M-box lighting up like that when it needs a firmware update, but now I know. (And I DID search for an answer before I posted but didn't find any similar problems until after I read your answer and searched for "firmware"!).

Anyway, I really appreciate the help. I know a lot about music but until a few months ago knew very little about the engineering, science and technology of digital recording. I didn't know a dither from a delay or a buss from a bounce to disk...... I guess for a middle-aged mother of four (ages 5-13) I'm doing pretty well and can't expect to rise to a professional level. I just want to get my "stuff" out of my head and in a "hearable" form.

In the meantime I'm very much enjoying reading this forum and learning from all you experts. Cheers!

Carolyn

Old 04-21-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you Bazzle, you're an angel!...Carolyn

You can come over and thank me personally anytime..But I assure you,I'm no angel

Old 04-21-2004, 10:26 AM

Carolyn,

Somehow your Mbox got put into Firmware Update mode. This has been seen from time to time. All the lights coming on indicates this mode. Just run the FW Updater like you did and everything will be fine. It's not necessarily that your Mbox needed a firmware update, it just accidentally got into this mode.

-Matt, Digidesign Test Engineer
Old 04-21-2004, 10:28 AM

Matt I was way ahead of you on that one

Old 04-21-2004, 11:42 AM

"Accidentally got into this mode." I love that! Around my house, we're used to unexplained "accidents" with all the little fingers and hands everywhere. Thank you Matt for replying. It's so nice to know this kind of help is available (from the professional Digidesign experts AND those who beat them to the punch! ).

Bazzle, I'm sure Alberta is beautiful this time of year (I've seen it in autumn), but you'll have to settle for a virtual "thank you" for now! Yes, I can sense your disappointment from way down here in Texas....... Just channel that negative energy into a new song, okay?

Happy music-making, guys, and thanks again.

Carolyn