Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-25-2018, 12:39 PM

Default Mac System Sound through HD Native Thunderbolt Interface Headphone Jack

Hi there,

So I've got my Mac system sound going into the Omni just fine. Am able to hear it both through the analog outs of the Omni, and the headphone jack in front of the Omni, but not the headphone jack of the HD Native box. Any ideas?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Mac System Sound through HD Native Thunderbolt Interface Headphone Jack

How are you getting the system sounds into the Omni? Do you have the HD driver in Audio/MIDI setup assigned to system sounds or are you routing it directly into the Omni with a physical cable?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Mac System Sound through HD Native Thunderbolt Interface Headphone Jack

I'm routing it directly into the OMNI with a digital cable.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Audio View Post
I'm routing it directly into the OMNI with a digital cable.
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue/question!
Old 12-04-2018, 11:36 PM

The Omni has its own FPGA mixer for its ins going to outs that operate outside of Pro Tools. I'm assuming Captain Audio was using that mixer to route sounds when sending a digital signal from his Mac Pro to the Omni.

Unless the sound is routing through Pro Tools, it isn't using the hardware's return path to the native thunderbolt box (which mirrors Pro Tools channels 1 and 2.) So you won't hear it on the thunderbolt box's headphone out.
Only on the Omni headphone out (which is the FPGA mixer.)

There is no fixing this.

To get it on the thunderbolt headphone out, after routing via a digital cable from the Mac Pro into the Omni, you would need to have an open Pro Tools session that then sends this input to the output of 1-2. That would then show up on the Thunderbolt headphone output. If you close Pro Tools, the signal will stop.

With the Omni, there are two different mixers: The standalone mixer that is built into the hardware (and can operate with Pro Tools closed) and the Pro Tools mixer that is at work when Pro Tools is open. Only the second can be heard on the thunderbolt headphone output.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 AM

Thanks so much for the clarification! That has been vexing me for years!
Old 12-05-2018, 10:10 AM

Yes thank you BScout! Really appreciate your taking the time to explain it so well.

Cheers!
Old 12-05-2018, 03:02 PM

remember... hd native thunderbolt headphone ALWAYS mirrors outputs 1-2
Old 12-06-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
remember... hd native thunderbolt headphone ALWAYS mirrors outputs 1-2
Right so if he used the avid core audio driver and routing the systems sounds to 1 and 2, wouldn't he get system sounds to the HD Thunderbolt headphone port?
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme