Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2017, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Gui lag 12.8.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure if people remember the discussions happening when the subscription plan was first rumored but this is essentially what was predicted. It's not unlike Pharma: there's no money in the cure. Go soft on repairing bugs and customers will *need* the subscription plan.

Think about the reasons we spend ~$400/year on the plan. New features, yes, although those have been INCREDIBLY slow to materialize. It's to stay current. To receive the bug fixes. To allow new OS updates and ensure PT compatibility.

Anyone who's been following this topic will notice how frequently the app takes a step backwards since the Plan began. No, I doubt bugs are *introduced* intentionally, but it's equally incompetent and devious, yes, to intentionally ignore those repairs. If anyone thinks this process isn't discussed in closed board meetings or, more likely, while playing 18 holes you're just being naive or overly loyal.
You know it.. we're meant to be almost 3 years into the soultion to poor bug fixes, but the reality is, very slow updates, my old friends that are Beta testers, are really genuinely embarrassed!

It looks like I'm stuck on 12.8.1, Yosemite!

But to add on a positive note, it's incredibly fast and fantastic workflow, on my upgraded 2010 6 core Mac pro, this is the most happy I've been in 12. )))

This is the last mac with a PCI slot, so Avid should pay extra attention to it's current users, since it offers no other professional solution.

Gutted!!! that there's very little incentive to continue my subscription after this, when my third year expires.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolz View Post

It looks like I'm stuck on 12.8.1, Yosemite!

This is the last mac with a PCI slot, so Avid should pay extra attention to it's current users, since it offers no other professional solution.

Gutted!!! that there's very little incentive to continue my subscription after this, when my third year expires.

You are so right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Eichelberg View Post
12.8.2 is officially useless...to me. I'm running the latest MacPro with lots of ram.

The progress of Pro Tools 12 feels like one step forward, two steps back. I'm having a hard time right now to justify to myself why I keep purchasing those HD support plan year after year...mine is up in a few days.

And workflow improvements like folders for clips, folders for tracks, folders for plug-ins, ability to automatically re-assign numbers to memory locations and loads of other ideas from the last years have not been incorporated. I'm bracing myself for accepting the fact that some things will never change in Pro Tools. You can tell I'm a bit frustrated after 20+ years work with Pro Tools.
i've noticed multiple people with the issue on mac pros, yet my 2014 retina macbook pro is fine with sierra and 12.8.2.

so it begs the question.. is avid's code not working properly with ati graphics? could that be it? Whereas nvidia is fine?

I can't test on my imac with only ati graphics as i'm still on yosemite on that one and don't want to ruin a somewhat stable 12.8.1 install.

But i'm getting the sense after reading this topic that ati graphics cards are the ones causing the issue. Maybe i am totally wrong.. i hope i am not in this case though, as a random problem is much harder for them to fix than a pinpointed one.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:30 PM

having the same problem here, super slow graphics. system: 10.11.4
3,5ghz 6 core intel xeon E5. (black can.)

is there anything i have to consider going back to 12.8.1, removing any prefs first or so?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Hi guys,

I notice most folks who complain about the 12.8.2. GUI lag are mac users. Just curious, is this a mac-only issue, or are there PC users experiencing it as well?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:09 AM

Windows 10 build 1607 (Anniversary) and 1709 (Fall Creator's Update) Gui Lag on 12.8.2 confirmed.
It seems that the bar skips itself ahead during session playback and record from MIDI.

This happened on my Intel and AMD Pro tools computers with the same video card (Radeon 390X). It existed in 12.8.1 but it seems to have gotten worse with this build. It doesn't stop me from recording or doing my midi, but the bars meter line skips ahead and is completely choppy.

Not a resolution problem (switched from 1920x1080 to lower resolutions and the problem still exists).

I haven't been a habitual complainer about Pro Tools much, but this problem really makes things a bit unfriendly. Probably my #1 bug to squash for 12.9.

For those who are wondering this problem exists with intel i7-6700 and my AMD threadripper 1950x. Thinking this one is specifically Pro Tools related.

Thanks.
Old 11-11-2017, 12:46 PM

this is really starting to sound like it affects ATI 99%
Old 11-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Here, on a Hackintosh with 10.12.6 and NVidea graphics I only have laggy graphics on my secondary monitor when scrolling vertical.
Compared to 10.10.5 and 12.5.2 graphics are much smoother and faster.
Reaper 6.66, Fireface UCX

MacbookPro M1Pro PTHD2021.12 MacOS12.1
BlackmagicDesign UltraMonitor3G

MOTU 24Ao AppleTB3toTB2->AppleTB2->Ethernet->AVB
Old 11-11-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
this is really starting to sound like it affects ATI 99%
Not really, I have tried on several different machines, with clean install and different gfx cards, nVidia GeForce, AMD Radeon, Intel Iris Pro, Intel HD... Same problem on all of them with PT 12.8.2, while PT 12.8.1 has no GUI lag at all.

Sound Engineer | Non-Avid Employee
Old 11-11-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Lambert View Post
I'm not sure if people remember the discussions happening when the subscription plan was first rumored but this is essentially what was predicted. It's not unlike Pharma: there's no money in the cure. Go soft on repairing bugs and customers will *need* the subscription plan.

Think about the reasons we spend ~$400/year on the plan. New features, yes, although those have been INCREDIBLY slow to materialize. It's to stay current. To receive the bug fixes. To allow new OS updates and ensure PT compatibility.

Anyone who's been following this topic will notice how frequently the app takes a step backwards since the Plan began. No, I doubt bugs are *introduced* intentionally, but it's equally incompetent and devious, yes, to intentionally ignore those repairs. If anyone thinks this process isn't discussed in closed board meetings or, more likely, while playing 18 holes you're just being naive or overly loyal.
This ^^ is perhaps the most important post I've ever read on this forum.