Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Smyth Realiser A8?

Quote:
but the sonifex will convert from ballanced to unballanced?

i use a simple DI box with 8 channels to convert the unballanced output to ballanced xlrs to lay long way with the cables..
Sonifex has 2 diferent models that handle 4 pairs of audio conversion/matching.
One does balanced to unbalanced, the other does exactly the opposite.

I have my concerns about using a DI for this type of conversion as usually DI´s have their output suited for MIC levels source inputs and not line inputs.

Some people, when distance is short, just use some kind of plug adapter. This works fine in some cases and doesn´t work in others. It depends on the type of balancing that the interface has internally.

For proper impedance and voltage match, I always prefer to use dedicated balancing units.

On some AVID interfaces/converters, you have the -10 DB25 connector on the rear with adjustable trimmers. That may do the trick with unbalanced sources/destinations without a dedicated unit like the Sonifex or other in between. We use these connectors for monitoring of MAC line outs into PT, using a mini jack to DB25, leaving the pin 3 floating, as recommended by AVID.

Which interface do you have with PT?

Regarding HDMI enbedded audio from PT, via mini display port adapter, I don´t think it works, as PT doesn´t recognise this as valid outs, at least in HDX.
It may work when setting the playback engine to an agregator or core audio but I never tried it. Anyway, you loose the DSP capabilities on the HDX card when doing so.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 07-23-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Anyway, you loose the DSP capabilities on the HDX card when doing so.
Hi Paulo,

Yes this is what I realised after I said it, It'll be good for my Macbook but it would be a waste for the HDX rig.

I have an 8x8x8, so I was also thinking about a cheap Behringer Adat to Analogue converter/ ADA8000 or the soon to be released 8020. It has balanced or unbalanced outs and would make it easier to switch over from speakers to Realiser.

Maybe I could just get out the soldering iron and make a balanced to unbalanced cable instead.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
I have an 8x8x8, so I was also thinking about a cheap Behringer Adat to Analogue converter/ ADA8000 or the soon to be released 8020. It has balanced or unbalanced outs and would make it easier to switch over from speakers to Realiser.

Maybe I could just get out the soldering iron and make a balanced to unbalanced cable instead.
Ya, the ADAT to analogue converter seems a good idea, then you keep your analogue outs on the 8x8x8 free. Keep in mind that you loose the AES EBU outs in the DB25 digital socket when using the ADAT pipe. You need to select either one in the hardware/I/O options. But if you don´t need the AES EBU is fine, otherwise you need to keep changing the selection.

Regarding the soldering iron, yes you can, but keep in mind that not all balanced interfaces are the same inside the converters and sometimes the trick of shorting pin 1 and 3 on the destination doesn´t work good. And you´ll loose your analogue DB25 as a balanced available option too, unless you keep re-connecting things all the time.

Remember that despite the fact that the outputs will be just interfacing the phono inputs of the Realizer, if the impedance matching is wrong or deficient, that will translate in what the unit will be receiving and it will reflect on what you´ll be hearing on the headphones.
I would recommend the first option mentioned, the Behringer or a similar unit.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3
Old 12-06-2016, 05:20 PM

I'm updating this old thread after many happy years of using the Realiser A8 as a surround headphone mixing option.

Smyth are now updating to the Realiser A16 which will offer Atmos, Auro 3d and other multi-channel immersive formats over headphones and crucially, at a much more affordable price.

They're promising many new exciting features for both mixing pro's and film buffs alike. Decoding over HDMI from all the above formats etc and potentially a library of great virtual 'rooms' to mix in over headphones. Full details at: http://www.smyth-research.com/

Its not going to be available until March-June next year, but to me it looks very exciting. I only found out about it by randomly having a look at their site to see what they were up to.

Other manufacturers have come out with surround headphone options, but its definitely the personalization aspect with the Smyth unit that makes the big difference to my ears.

These guys really seem to know what they are doing when it comes to virtualising speakers in a binaural 3d space in headphones and for me, the result with a personal impulse for your own ears and headphones, is uncanny.

I don't have any financial interest in this company personally, I would just like to grow interest in a small company producing cutting edge products that can really help our work.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:30 AM

wow, thanks for the info, this really sounds good..

allthough i don´t understand, they also are offering IRs from other rooms?
is this possible? i had some dramatic differences when i listend to other peoples measurements, compared to mine..
or is there a "trick"?
Old 12-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Yes, it does look good doesn't it.
I'm surprised its so low key in the roll-out especially with all this VR buzz around.

I agree about the dramatic difference between other peoples PIR's and personalized ones. According to the blurb they've developed some way to tweak other PIR's towards your own measurements.
If it works well it could be fantastic!

One of the other exciting things is you can make measurements from sweep files right in pro tools instead of needing to plug the ins and outs of the box up. So making impulses of rooms will be much easier and quicker.