Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2014, 02:04 PM

Default Re: 11.1.3 -9173 every time you insert a 3rd party plug question.

Not yet. This is a known issue and a bug with Avid. I have been working with them, sending reports, etc. I have a 2011 MBPro non retina with no issues, same exact setup on a 2013 MBPro retina with issues. It will get resolved I am sure...
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 12-05-2014, 11:47 PM

Try to also delete all Avid plugins from the plugin folder. Re-starting PT11 will re-instate latest versions of the core plugins (if you haven't hacked the PT11 application like I always do). In case some plugin wasn't replaced and is wrong version...
Old 12-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryser View Post
Not yet. This is a known issue and a bug with Avid. I have been working with them, sending reports, etc. I have a 2011 MBPro non retina with no issues, same exact setup on a 2013 MBPro retina with issues. It will get resolved I am sure...
I'm running on a trashcan Mac Pro. I'll try deleting the plugins and see if that helps at all.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsimmons View Post
I'm tired, I've spent a day off doing a new install of everything from os 10.9.4 to all plugs, new drive, imac i7, thunderbolt omni/native setup ,all troubleshooting in an attempt to get a smooth running session. EDIT: having gone from similar problems on 10.8.5 and other versions...

Are other professionals out there doing PT sessions, audio and VI, 30 tracks for example, where you expect to have a -9173 error every time you insert a (3rd party) plug on a playing session bringing all to a halt with error message?

Really at wits end with every cent i've spent on my whole setup and aax rebuying etc etc etc ....
+1 I've always had this problem- I just stop it, load the plug and continue. However, on my 12c I still occasionally get the error, it's just that I get more often than not a huge stutter in playback. This is understandable though, what irks me is the -9173 when I have more than 75% CPU left on playback.

Pro Tools 11 HD, 64Gb ram, 12tb SSD, 1909
HD Omni/Thunderbolt Native
A bucketload of libraries
www.Reverbnation.com/jedediahjenk
www.soundcloud.com/jedediahjenk
notedmusic.wix.com/jedediahjenk
Old 12-20-2014, 02:33 AM

I don't use native plugins and I get the message to remove them. Plus I can't bounce in real time at all. my offline bounce works, but only at 1.5x speed. I use all UA pluging with 12 DSP processors. I get the 9173 message constantly at 2% of my cpu usage. I give up !!

Imac I7 quad core Mavericks
16gb ram
UA Apollo quad core thunderbolt
UA Octo 8DSP Thunderbolt
Protools lastest version
Old 12-20-2014, 04:10 PM

Dang. Sorry to hear people still having issues. Both of my rooms are now OK. I had wicked RTB errors with 9173. Not in either room after update.
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:26 PM

The OP noted that the problem occurred when he inserted a new plugin with the transport running.

As musicman691 previously noted he also had problems when inserting plugins with the transport running.

I can see a whole lot of reasons why inserting plugins with the transport running would not be good practice and could result in errors.

You may draw your own conclusions, but I consider good practice includes stopping the transport before doing anything other than adjusting parameters on a previously inserted plugin...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 12-20-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
The OP noted that the problem occurred when he inserted a new plugin with the transport running.

As musicman691 previously noted he also had problems when inserting plugins with the transport running.

I can see a whole lot of reasons why inserting plugins with the transport running would not be good practice and could result in errors.

You may draw your own conclusions, but I consider good practice includes stopping the transport before doing anything other than adjusting parameters on a previously inserted plugin...

+1

We never instantiate a Plugin or a VI while a session is running as its like asking for trouble. I know we have got away with smaller plugins like some waves and one off stuff but we never been able to do that with UA or softube and PA etc.

I don't think that computers are built to do all the things they do while running the most complex and BIGGEST CPU using DAW and also be able to load up large plugins like Slate or UA etc while playing back streaming audio. Why is it soo bad to stop a second and start again when you loaded up the plugin you wanna tweek in real time? I don't think that Avid sees that as a "Bug" as it's never going to,work on a normal Spinner drive. Those has to read and write at the same time and having that work with a whole session while inserting large CPU hungry plugins while running is just too much for a spinner drive or a 50-60% used SSD and seriously doubt they will "fix" that. Too many computer configurations for testing and supporting this unless we all use SSD only. Then it works "Ok" here to load plugins while PTHD11 is running but we get a small drop out of sound for a 0.5 sec or so. It's not a big issue but I would never ever try with a spinner drive as thats not gonna work great.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 12-20-2014, 07:57 PM

Default 11.1.3 -9173 every time you insert a 3rd party plug question.

Yeah I think that practice was used primarily during TDM days.

I think it was more common with TDM, but native always had audio dropouts No errors but audio dropouts
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yeah I think that practice was used primarily during TDM days.

I think it was more common with TDM, but native always had audio dropouts No errors but audio dropouts
Not just dropouts but noise spikes and loud pops in the monitors when inserting plugins with transport running.

QAPLA!