Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2013, 01:59 AM

Default Elastic Time - what's the engine?

Quickish question:

With PT 7.4 - PT 10 you can choose a TC/E plugin to use in the properties dialogue (Serato Pitch n' Time, Sound Toys Speed, Waves Sound Shifter, X-Form).

I know that this is not possible in PT11.

But

What I want to know is this:

1) Does the choice of TC/E plugin affect or effect in any way the quality of Elastic time, running in real time?

2) And also, when you commit an ET track can you change the engine to one other than X-Form?

Basically, is the quality of real time Elastic time controllable or selectable? Is there a link between TC/E and ET or are they completely separate?

Thanks all, I've been puzzled by this for a while now....

Old 08-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Default Re: Elastic Time - what's the engine?

•Just done a test using different TC/E plugin selections and using EA to change the tempo on a Drumbeat. (from 119 to 70 BPM)

•There is no difference to the quality of EA when changing TC/E plugin.

However, rendering with X-Form with EA instead of using EA realtime is good quality

BUT

Using TC/E rather than EA to stretch a Beat has much better quality that using EA. Using X-Form with TC/E (if you have it) is better quality than using X-Form rendered with EA.

So if you can use TC/E (with a good plugin NOT stock Digi) rather than EA (even when using X-Form rendered) then you'll be better off quality wise.