Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 PM

Default Re: Mac Part Store Glendale California

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
righty what year was your iMac and which card specifically was it. I know the 2011 card was popular because it would go in the 2009 iMacs but last I heard there were no new ones to be had anymore. I don’t think you can just use any card in just any iMac but I may be wrong. I would have preferred new also.
The 2011 card/heatsink assembly could go in an earlier iMac but there had to be a modification to fit the etra material on the 2011 heatsink assembly. Something to do with the heat pipes that go from the card holder to the heatsink.

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2018, 01:49 AM

Late-2009 27" iMac with 2.66 GHz i5. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and the part number in my correspondence is 661-5315 - I also found the possibility of using a later model but was having it fitted by an official Apple guy.

I recall Maya had quite a few at the time and, as Apple had already declined to do the repair once the model was on their legacy/deprecated hardware list (obviously impossible for them to keep spares for everything, especially from 3Ps like ATI), I concluded that resellers must pick up the remaining stock of spare parts.

FYI, of the others I contacted in trying to find a new one, MacPartsOnline and AppleComponents also claimed they had stock and got these brand new from Apple, and MacPalace offered a refurbished card.

I can't speak for any of these others but, at the time, did find negative feedback on some trading in this area (whom I probably didn't even contact). Yet, when my long-delayed but tracked parcel appeared to be lost/stuck in the post, Maya was very helpful and offered useful remedies ... although this ultimately resolved itself.

Last edited by Righty27; 01-21-2018 at 03:50 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righty27 View Post
Late-2009 27" iMac with 2.66 GHz i5. Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB and the part number in my correspondence is 661-5315 - I also found the possibility of using a later model but was having it fitted by an official Apple guy.

I recall Maya had quite a few at the time and, as Apple had already declined to do the repair once the model was on their legacy/deprecated hardware list (obviously impossible for them to keep spares for everything, especially from 3Ps like ATI), I concluded that resellers must pick up the remaining stock of spare parts.

FYI, of the others I contacted in trying to find a new one, MacPartsOnline and AppleComponents also claimed they had stock and got these brand new from Apple, and MacPalace offered a refurbished card.

I can't speak for any of these others but, at the time, did find negative feedback on some trading in this area (whom I probably didn't even contact). Yet, when my long-delayed but tracked parcel appeared to be lost/stuck in the post, Maya was very helpful and offered useful remedies ... although this ultimately resolved itself.
Resellers don't just get their parts from Apple unless they're also Apple repair depots as well. Another source of their parts are from when cities have computer recycling days. The cleaner machines get picked up and scavenged for parts and some of those end up at resellers for sale; some end up on eBay as well.

QAPLA!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:33 AM

Agreed Jack - I was speculating about the stock of new spare parts in factory-sealed original boxes. My official Apple guys confirmed the box/seal was what they would expect to receive from Apple directly had parts for the iMac still been available (up to 5+ years). However, these suppliers might have had 'fresh' stock as my late-2009 model had only just been deprecated at the time - these may now be exhausted and only refurbs or scavenged cards may now be available. I note that premiummacparts.com show that part number as 'out of stock' ... but no harm in asking them, I guess :)