Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 08-31-2018, 09:58 PM

Default C24 to S3? Some questions for you

I'm thinking of making the switch from C24 (very happy with this) to the S3 + Dock, but have a few questions about what I consider to be key features that were missing 4 years ago when I briefly looked at the Artist series / Eucon.

- Does the S3 allow custom plugin mapping?

- Does it update the screen as you bank the faders?

- Can you shift + control click on a track to bank it to the first fader (with subsequent tracks following)?

- Does the S3 and/or Dock have dedicated buttons for markers?

- With the C24/Pro Tools I use "Track Show/Hide" saved as Markers to create fader sets (drums, vocals, submasters etc) so I can hit a Marker and instantly my faders are just the Drums, the Vocals, the Guitars etc. So, for, say, drums, regardless of the song I see kick in, kick out, snare top, snare bottom etc on the exact same faders every time. The workflow is amazing. Does the S3 do this? If so, if you add a track later is it easy to update the group?

Thanks. These features have become so important to my workflow that I want to make sure they are present in the S3.

P.S. I think the S3 and Eucon features are very cool (the displays especially) but don't want to take any steps backwards by switching. Going from 24 faders to 16 is not ideal but the added functionality of the Dock might in some ways make up for it.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 AM
Avid

Default Re: C24 to S3? Some questions for you

Not yet

No, but it follows attention and a new feature in the next release will let it follow mouse clicks in PT on Plugins, Pan, Send, Edit Window, Track Names etc.

- Can you shift + control click on a track to bank it to the first fader (with subsequent tracks following)?
This is already done and will be in the next release

Yes as part of the softkeys

- With the C24/Pro Tools I use "Track Show/Hide" saved as Markers to create fader sets (drums, vocals, submasters etc) so I can hit a Marker and instantly my faders are just the Drums, the Vocals, the Guitars etc. So, for, say, drums, regardless of the song I see kick in, kick out, snare top, snare bottom etc on the exact same faders every time. The workflow is amazing. Does the S3 do this? If so, if you add a track later is it easy to update the group?
yes, you can also use VCA's to achieve the same thing and have a master fader.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:56 PM

[QUOTE=EddieJones;2498757]

Yes as part of the softkeys

! There's a limited number of markers to be recalled via Eucon. (don't remember the exact number)
If you create track show/hide type markers without time reference, they line up after the standard markers (time related). And if you're using a lot of these (time related) markers, you cannot acces the track show/hide markers with the S3 softkeys.
@ eddie: can this be fixed please?
Old 09-05-2018, 08:38 PM
Avid

I'll ask but I think its something like 99 already (don't quote me on that)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the info!

Regarding the buttons for markers, the reason I asked was because I create "fader groups" with the C24 using track show/hide setup saved as a marker, so I can hit a marker and instantly have my drum, vocal, instruments faders spread out on the C24.

I now recall Eucon does that with fader groups (is that the name?), so the point is, regardless of the method, can those fader groups be assigned to buttons for instant recall? (it's about 5 groups I switch between -All, Drums, Instruments, Vocals, Extra)
Old 09-06-2018, 12:25 PM
Avid

No, what you would do is show those fader groups' VCA's on the tracks page of the iPad App. Each time you tap one it would spill out onto the S3. If you had a Dock the Master fader would be on that. Its a very fast way of working and you don't need to setup markers.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
No, what you would do is show those fader groups' VCA's on the tracks page of the iPad App. Each time you tap one it would spill out onto the S3. If you had a Dock the Master fader would be on that. Its a very fast way of working and you don't need to setup markers.

Can some fader groups (I use 5 groups) just be assigned to soft keys on the Dock or S3? I wouldn't want to use up those faders on the Dock for VCA spills.

Also, when using the Dock in conjunction with S3, can the 8 faders on the ipad Dock (in track mode) be used as faders 17-24 (with the S3 being 1-16) so effectively one could have 24 faders in a group (without having to bank).

What I'm getting at is, for example, my drum group would be S3 faders 1-16, then the Dock ipad faders 1-8 would be Vocal VCA, Instrument VCA, a Reference Mix, Bass (ie things you balance against the drums). Similarly a Guitar group on the S3 f1-16 would have ipad faders be Drum VCA, Vox VCA, Instrument VCA, Ref Mix, Bass.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Avid

You can't assigned groups to switches but you can use the 8 faders on the iPad Control App as 17-24. I think the way you are trying to work is not the way the system was designed and if you get these units you would find other ways to do what you want. Not only does the iPad Control do VCA spill but the S3 does too, so theres many ways to solve this.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieJones View Post
You can't assigned groups to switches but you can use the 8 faders on the iPad Control App as 17-24. I think the way you are trying to work is not the way the system was designed and if you get these units you would find other ways to do what you want. Not only does the iPad Control do VCA spill but the S3 does too, so theres many ways to solve this.

Thanks for your reply
Old 09-28-2021, 04:44 PM

Did you ever switch from the C24? I have one also and I like it but curious to what else is out there and better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
I'm thinking of making the switch from C24 (very happy with this) to the S3 + Dock, but have a few questions about what I consider to be key features that were missing 4 years ago when I briefly looked at the Artist series / Eucon.

Thanks. These features have become so important to my workflow that I want to make sure they are present in the S3.

P.S. I think the S3 and Eucon features are very cool (the displays especially) but don't want to take any steps backwards by switching. Going from 24 faders to 16 is not ideal but the added functionality of the Dock might in some ways make up for it.