Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Thoughts on an improvement to Preview?

I was worried that Tom Graham was lonely here, so I'm bringing my best idea to the forum:

While in Preview mode, Pro Tools should restrict playback of the changed automation parameters to the selection only. If no selection has been made, Preview would function the usual way. With a selection, the underlying automation would play during pre-roll, then switch to the Preview automation, and switch out during post-roll.

I was with a client today, auditioning a tweak to one line of dialog, and it was impossible to really get a sense of how the tweak would sound in context without hitting suspend preview on the fly.

For the pro mixers out there, would this help you? Any drawbacks?

Yes, it's on Ideascale.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Thoughts on an improvement to Preview?

I would checker board a change like that or you are bound to hear a snap or pop at the automation punch points.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 08-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Avid

Talking Re: Thoughts on an improvement to Preview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I was worried that Tom Graham was lonely here, so I'm bringing my best idea to the forum:

While in Preview mode, Pro Tools should restrict playback of the changed automation parameters to the selection only. If no selection has been made, Preview would function the usual way. With a selection, the underlying automation would play during pre-roll, then switch to the Preview automation, and switch out during post-roll.

I was with a client today, auditioning a tweak to one line of dialog, and it was impossible to really get a sense of how the tweak would sound in context without hitting suspend preview on the fly.

For the pro mixers out there, would this help you? Any drawbacks?

Yes, it's on Ideascale.
I was very lonely Nathaniel, thanks!

Preview happens to be my very favorite Pro Mixing feature in Pro Tools. For me - even if I don't have a surface in front of me, I use it. (It actually may be the most powerful mouse mixing feature because you can only do one thing at a time and is difficult to make many changes over time otherwise).

I often do use it with a selection and really only work inside that selection without pre-roll. If I did want to preview it with the previous automation, I wouldn't mind so much pushing the suspend preview button first and then again at the point of the selection start. (It would make my client see my great punching skills - which no one sees anymore since the days of analogue tape punch -ins) Yes I'm that old!

I'll be curious to hear more people's thoughts on if it's a big impediment to their daily workflow.

[email protected]

Check out our Pro Mixing Webinars :
http://www.avid.com/US/resources/pro-mixing-webinars

Avid Pro Mixing Blog:
http://www.avidblogs.com/promixing/
Old 08-28-2014, 10:16 AM

Parenthetically, I use QuicKeys to map "Preview" to cmd-p when I'm working without a dedicated key on a control surface. Obviously, many of us pro-mixers would love to have more key commands built into Pro Tools for the advanced automation functions.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:41 AM

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ng/118092-3779

An option to turn on the following automation mode:
When ever a selection is made PT should turn on preview.
When there's no selection preview is turned off.
Also once preview is on and you have changed a parameter preview should stay ON even when the selection has been changed till you've either written the changes or turned off preview manually.
It could be called "auto-preview" or similar.
When working I find that when I want to ride a value I don't make a selection and when I set static adjustments I have a selection active.
This would reduce the passes that I do with preview on when I actually what to write dynamic automation and vice versa to a minimum.
This should be a mode that can be turned on and off and a manual press of the preview button / eucon soft key should be able to override it.
This feature would literally save a hundred clicks not he "preview" button every day.
Sort of relates to this request:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...est/29961-3779
and this:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...ies/90436-3779
But I think goes further as it would solve both on the same ticket.
UPDATE: To cater the different workflows AVID could integrate something like the WACT-Matrix on the Harisson consoles that enable you to set every combination of the above behavior in a matrix setting style. I can not describe how this works in detail as it would make this text very long but anyone who'e familiar with the Harisson consoles will know what I'm talking about.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 AM

Before anything is done to preview , Avid must make the behaviour when there is no selection to be a pref - either flash up a warning "you have not made a selection please do so , or the other state would be the one that is SO DANGEROUS to post, write to entire track. We need to be able to turn this none sense off and NOW.
Sorry Avid but what were you thinking? When people are writing software workaround a for this with the greatest of respect you need to acknowledge that you may have got it a bit wrong.

Please did this as a matter of utmost urgency before embarking on improving Preview's functionality.

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 AM

Apologies for grammar errors. iPhone and rickety train!

Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 02-01-2018, 05:15 PM

Dusting off this idea from 2014 since it just popped up on the S6 subforum.

Optionally restrict Preview automation to selection only:
http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...a-tab-comments

"While in Preview mode, Pro Tools would restrict playback of the changed automation parameters to the selection only. If no selection has been made, Preview would function the usual way. With a selection, the underlying automation would play during pre-roll, then switch to the Preview automation, and switch out during post-roll. Would be useful for ADR dialog matching."

Thanks for voting!