Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2024, 02:52 AM

Default Graphical Glitch / GUI Pattern on timeline

I have a graphical glitch on my timeline when editing and making selections of clips. It has been there for awhile now, but don't know since which version exactly.
Basically at some point selection are not smooth: blocks appear in the selection. See image.
I have seen other people having the same issue in a FB group.

https://www.facebook.com/769470716/v...2550544379829/

I am on Max Studio M1 Ultra, OS Ventura 13.6, PT 2023.12.1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8878.jpg (38.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-12-2024, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Graphical Glitch / GUI Pattern on timeline

I have the same issue. I'm surprised that there aren't lots of others asking, so it's probably down to something really specific that we're both doing and not many others are, so let's compare.

I've been sure that it's down to me using a 1440p monitor on a Mac. The text is tiny at that resolution, but Apple has never made any 1440p monitors so you can't change the resolution to something more reasonable without losing HiDPI graphics.

I used OneKeyHDPI master, or BetterDisplay (it used to be called BetterDummy) to get a better resolution with HiDPI, and I've thought that that was the reason - OP, or you? If you are, then our question is answered, and if not, it's time to keep looking.

A temp fix is to toggle ENABLE GPU in the settings, and an even weirder way is to click on the desktop. Please tell me your findings.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:35 AM

I've seen this too. Zooming in/out usually clears it.
I see you (Fremax) are on an M1 processor. My guess is this is Apple GPU related.

chrisVVS, if you could give some info on your system. If it is an Intel system, then the Apple GPU isn't a possible cause.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:38 AM

Sorry, thought it was in a signature:

M2 Mac Mini Pro, 16GB RAM, Pro Tools Studio latest, Scarlett interface, latest Ventura.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it here. I share my screen on every job I do, and it doesn't look great. We can't be the only ones.

There was a glitch a while ago, where the waveform thickness was a couple of pixels too wide and that caused uproar :) I can't imagine that this wouldn't get the same levels of upset, so I'm sure it's only happening to a few of us. If it was a Mac/PC thing there'd be lots more noise.

Last edited by chrisVVS; 03-12-2024 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Pressed send too soon...
Old 03-12-2024, 04:57 PM

This might be related. On Windows 10. For the last few versions of Pro Tools, I would, after some editing and/or using AudioSuite on a section of a clip, that section, or all of the clips would turn "blocky" at a certain Zoom level or beyond. https://1drv.ms/f/s!Amf5_xqOhG1shI5M...X8DsQ?e=nlfIWt

I went to Setup>Preferences>Processing and UNchecked "While loading waveforms, display in low resolution" and haven't had the issue since. It was happening regularly.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-12-2024, 11:11 PM

Yes! Me too. I've been thinking it might be my 2 Dell monitors (as in, I'm not using Apple monitors).

Something to do with the refresh rate...? But I can't get it to go away. I'm on 1920x1080, Dell SE2422H and SE2419H and changing the refresh rates doesn't fix it.
Ventura 13.6.6
Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre
---------------------------------------

Last edited by ZZR1100; 03-12-2024 at 11:15 PM. Reason: sub
Old 03-13-2024, 12:33 AM

I have 3 screens. The screen where I do the editing is a generic HD 1920x1080 computer monitor.
On the FB post someone suggests a problem with wireless mouse/driver. I have a logitech wired mouse and just update the driver. I will let you know if it changes. What mouse are you using?
Old 03-13-2024, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremax View Post
I have 3 screens. The screen where I do the editing is a generic HD 1920x1080 computer monitor.
On the FB post someone suggests a problem with wireless mouse/driver. I have a logitech wired mouse and just update the driver. I will let you know if it changes. What mouse are you using?
Wired - Kensington Expert Mouse
Bluetooth - Apple keyboard (everything else wired)
Ventura 13.6.6
Focusrite Clarett+ 8Pre
---------------------------------------
Old 03-13-2024, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremax View Post
Block graphics are not going to be influenced by mouse connection.
That's just grasping as ridiculous ideas.

This is most likely dependent on Metal2 usage by Pro Tools and Metal2 use by Apple GPU.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
This might be related. On Windows 10. For the last few versions of Pro Tools, I would, after some editing and/or using AudioSuite on a section of a clip, that section, or all of the clips would turn "blocky" at a certain Zoom level or beyond. https://1drv.ms/f/s!Amf5_xqOhG1shI5M...X8DsQ?e=nlfIWt

I went to Setup>Preferences>Processing and UNchecked "While loading waveforms, display in low resolution" and haven't had the issue since. It was happening regularly.
I imagine the "While loading waveforms, display in low resolution" saves RAM and startup time by not rendering the entire waveform graphic until needed, and that would make some sense, but once you'd zoomed in and viewed the waveform it should have been rendered for long enough at that point to stay. If I keep selecting the same bit of audio and it looks blocky each time, I'd say it wasn't the "While loading waveforms..." setting. Yet, you say it works, so who knows. Let's see if someone joins in the conversation with an answer.