Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2023, 10:59 AM

Default Best Midi CC Fader Controller for PT?

Just want to control various CC midi commands but I notice many of the controllers say the won't work with PT, without additional software, unlike other DAWS.

Is anyone using something they like? I only care about it having faders and sending midi commands, not automating audio.

Thanks
TH
Old 12-06-2023, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Best Midi CC Fader Controller for PT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhartman View Post
Just want to control various CC midi commands but I notice many of the controllers say the won't work with PT, without additional software, unlike other DAWS.

Is anyone using something they like? I only care about it having faders and sending midi commands, not automating audio.

Thanks
TH
I love my Novation Launch Control XL. It's not as "moderne" or sleek as some fader-only modules, but is fully-customizable, with multiple user banks if you want. I use the faders for the standard "film composer" CCs that have become popular, the knobs are used for all kinds of synths (and AudioBro's NKIs) and the pads get used as low-register (C0, C-1, etc) MIDI notes for keyswitches.

Novation Launch Control XL

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro

Last edited by massivekerry; 12-06-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: added link
Old 12-06-2023, 11:20 AM

You looking at DAW control surfaces or a simple MIDI control box? What exactly are you looking at as some examples?

How many faders? Do you want transport control?

If you want to control faders you need a control surface that speaks HUI, and if you are controlling faders, or plugin settings, then you can write automation, that is all done in Pro Tools, so not really a difference on the surface.

Pro Tools supports HUI and EUCON, it does not support MCU, but many surfaces with MCU can run in HUI mode.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You looking at DAW control surfaces or a simple MIDI control box? What exactly are you looking at as some examples?

How many faders? Do you want transport control?

If you want to control faders you need a control surface that speaks HUI, and if you are controlling faders, or plugin settings, then you can write automation, that is all done in Pro Tools, so not really a difference on the surface.

Pro Tools supports HUI and EUCON, it does not support MCU, but many surfaces with MCU can run in HUI mode.
I don't care about controlling any faders IN PT, such as audio faders. I just want to send CC messages to software instruments on instrument tracks such as string libraries, where I need to use the typical controllers. And I want to do that using a small (I only need to use about 4 faders) fader box. The Monogram stuff works but is pretty expensive and is always on backorder anyway...so yes simple midi controller box, no transport stuff needed...thx

Last edited by tomhartman; 12-06-2023 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 06:15 PM

I built my own 4-fader unit for doing exactly what you describe.

It was quite a project to fabricate, and I learned a lot on the way.

The 2nd of these links is more or less what I did.

https://djtechtools.com/2015/08/25/h...di-controller/

https://gearspace.com/board/music-co...8-edition.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2023, 06:38 PM

CC Midi faders don't need anything special for Pro Tools. They are like any other MIDI controller (MIDI keyboards, MIDI knobs) -- you've been misled.

The Peavey PC1600X is the king here but long discontinued (I have 2 with one as a spare; it's hoarding at this point.)
Outside of those, had good luck with these (even using 2) https://amc3midicontrollers.com/
Well built, easy to program, compact size so you can put them where they are out of the way
Old 12-06-2023, 06:53 PM

I use the faders on my Axiom midi keyboard for midi CC, but I'm considering the Nuances controller for my second keyboard station; you might give them a look: https://nuancescontroller.fr
Old 12-07-2023, 03:25 AM

Loads of good options out there, depending on your price range.

The old-school king of the hill was the JL Cooper Fadermaster (made popular by Hans Zimmer and then all the others who have been through the Remote Control system)... It's massively overpriced imho, and now discontinued. Behringer make something that *looks* the same...avoid..!

Peavey 1600X is great, but discontinued, and pretty rarely comes up used.

I looked at the Monogram, the Nuances and a couple of others..I actually ended up getting the Korg nanoKontrol 2, which is unbelievable cheap, and has been rock solid for me. I needed something which would work in the studio and was portable enough for on the road too. I was recommended it by one of the guys at Spitfire... For controlling VI's it's really good.

The fader throw isn't massive, but I actually prefer not to make a large movement from the shoulder, when a small finger movement would suffice.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 12-07-2023, 04:05 AM

I made a MIDI control surface in Soundflow. I didn’t have high hopes for it but had a spare iPad so gave it a go. I’m REALLY liking it! Very precise (you can make the faders really big if you want,) and you can do instant jumps to a value. It’s surprisingly satisfying to use.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
I made a MIDI control surface in Soundflow. I didn’t have high hopes for it but had a spare iPad so gave it a go. I’m REALLY liking it! Very precise (you can make the faders really big if you want,) and you can do instant jumps to a value. It’s surprisingly satisfying to use.
Didn't know that was possible in Soundflow!

I actually did similar in Lemur, which is really great... I just got fed up with having to watch my fingers to be sure they're on the faders (rather than just doing it by touch on a real fader)

If an iPad controller is a possibility then I can definitely recommend the power of Lemur... It's fully customisable.

It also seems way better to me than TouchOSC, which for me had too many unfixable irritations.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe