Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM

Default HD Omni vs Apollo 8

Hello guys,

I'm deciding between either HD Native w/ Omni or Apollo 8 for my next upgrade. I've owned Pro tools HD. My only concern is how different in term of sound quality and conversion of these both units? Which one gives a better sounding, and how much different ?

If anyone owns these too, please let me know your opinions. Thanks a lot.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:34 PM

Default Re: HD Omni vs Apollo 8

Well as we don't use the OMNI for much these days except to run as a Preamp in some sessions since we found our Manley Ref C mic LOVES the OMNI preamps I can't give any advice other than we always use our Apollo Quads and 16 over an OMNI. IMHO there aren't even close and I would get the Apollo 8 straight away, I thought you already ordered one?

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-19-2015, 12:37 PM

OMNI-2 good preamps and acts as a monitor controller(tops out at 8 IO with extra stuff attached), requires an HDN or HDX card
Apollo-8 preamps and on-board DSP for UAD plugins, easily expanded to 18 IO, Thunderbolt is a great connection

Both sound great. The BIG difference depends on whether you want to track with UAD plugins. If you don't, it won't matter, but if you DO, the Apollo will be a much better choice because it will allow you to track with UAD plugins with near-zero latency. On MY HD/Native rig, every UAD plugin reports at least 1100 samples of latency, and that's too much for tracking at a 64 buffer setting(which is my preferred setting).

Looking them over, the ONLY benefit I see to HDN with OMNI(you would NEED either an HDN card or an HDX card) is that HDN can handle 64 IO total. 3rd party interfaces will be limited to 32 IO, so If the Apollo has enough IO(and you don't mind the 32 IO limit), its a better option and way less money

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Well as we don't use the OMNI for much these days except to run as a Preamp in some sessions since we found our Manley Ref C mic LOVES the OMNI preamps I can't give any advice other than we always use our Apollo Quads and 16 over an OMNI. IMHO there aren't even close and I would get the Apollo 8 straight away, I thought you already ordered one?
Yes,I've already ordered one which will arrive tmr, but second thought comes in mind . Thank you for your reply which is always helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
OMNI-2 good preamps and acts as a monitor controller(tops out at 8 IO with extra stuff attached), requires an HDN or HDX card
Apollo-8 preamps and on-board DSP for UAD plugins, easily expanded to 18 IO, Thunderbolt is a great connection

Both sound great. The BIG difference depends on whether you want to track with UAD plugins. If you don't, it won't matter, but if you DO, the Apollo will be a much better choice because it will allow you to track with UAD plugins with near-zero latency. On MY HD/Native rig, every UAD plugin reports at least 1100 samples of latency, and that's too much for tracking at a 64 buffer setting(which is my preferred setting).

Looking them over, the ONLY benefit I see to HDN with OMNI(you would NEED either an HDN card or an HDX card) is that HDN can handle 64 IO total. 3rd party interfaces will be limited to 32 IO, so If the Apollo has enough IO(and you don't mind the 32 IO limit), its a better option and way less money
I see your points. I will just keep up with Apollo 8 and have no more second thought. Thanks a lot for your respond.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:54 PM

Converters are the same as the HD i/o's and I just upgraded to the HD I/O's from the Apollo

Both are equally great sounding - the avid stuff is just all contained within one Eco system

With Apollo you just have to switch between the two windows (2 eco systems)

Apollo Unison Tech on the Pre's make them sound wonderful

But I all ready had a PCIe Quad card so I moved away from the Apollo - but it's a fab unit.....

Mine is for sale......
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Converters are the same as the HD i/o's and I just upgraded to the HD I/O's from the Apollo

Both are equally great sounding - the avid stuff is just all contained within one Eco system

With Apollo you just have to switch between the two windows (2 eco systems)

Apollo Unison Tech on the Pre's make them sound wonderful

But I all ready had a PCIe Quad card so I moved away from the Apollo - but it's a fab unit.....

Mine is for sale......
Yah! I have a small studio, I think I cannot use it all with AVID 16x16. I really like the HD system thought. I can spend 2500 for my upgrade, but I will go for the apollo quad instead of Avid HD Native + Omni which I can also buy on ebay for 2500 (both HD Native+omni)
Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longname View Post
Yah! I have a small studio, I think I cannot use it all with AVID 16x16. I really like the HD system thought. I can spend 2500 for my upgrade, but I will go for the apollo quad instead of Avid HD Native + Omni which I can also buy on ebay for 2500 (both HD Native+omni)
You will love the new Apollo Quad 8 and when you get it please let me know if i can be of any assistance, you have my PM and email so just keep them coming if you need anything

You have bought a great unit and after a few more days with our Apollo 8P Quad loaner we decided to keep that and trade in our Quad Thunderbolt Apollo plus cash to keep the black new shiny 8P Quad, thats how good it sounds

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 11-20-2015, 10:43 AM

And if you get the new ones they are TB2 only, so you get better latency specs
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
And if you get the new ones they are TB2 only, so you get better latency specs
Thanks a lot YYR! My package was delivered yesterday. I have been playing with it, and i have a question, how can I mornitor the other 8 output? Is there anyway i can do it within the ua controller?
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
You will love the new Apollo Quad 8 and when you get it please let me know if i can be of any assistance, you have my PM and email so just keep them coming if you need anything

You have bought a great unit and after a few more days with our Apollo 8P Quad loaner we decided to keep that and trade in our Quad Thunderbolt Apollo plus cash to keep the black new shiny 8P Quad, thats how good it sounds
There was a lot of discussion regarding the D-A on the Gen 1 Apollo. I've read that's been resolved with the black face units. How does the conversion, both A-D and D-A of the new Apollo compare to the new HD and Omni I/O's?

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp