Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM

Default sub mix and master out

Ok ive just been messing around and seen something i think is strange or maybe its normal.

My sessions all have a Main Mix sub master where all the instruments sub mixes are routed to. This main sub mix is then routed to Main Out (1-2).

Here is what i did i played a signal in the vocal track and panned it hard left it then gets routed to my stereo vocals sub mix which is then routed to my main sub mix and then to the main out!!! but i noticed when it gets to the main out it is no longer hard panned 40% of the signal is coming out of the other side to. Then i removed the stereo sub mix from the equation so that the stereo vox sub mix went straight to main out and this time all the signal was hard panned.

Ive always been using a main sub mix because i read that its possible to clip the master out without the meters telling you due to a master track being pre fader.

Anyone out there wanna shed some light on this and is this why my mixes havent been sounding wide enough

i have included a screen image of my routing

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/n5sal

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM

Default sub mix and master out

Was there a reverb plugin on the track you removed? Stereo reverbs often sum to mono before generating the reverb so you would end up with signal in both sides from input on one side.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 02-05-2013, 03:19 PM

Default Re: sub mix and master out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Was there a reverb plugin on the track you removed? Stereo reverbs often sum to mono before generating the reverb so you would end up with signal in both sides from input on one side.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk
It was the same both times all I did was make the main sub mix inactive!!!!!!

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis