Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Default Omni vs New 192

I need a comparison between the Omni and the new 192. Do they sound the same? I don't need all the I/O's from the 192 and the omni has more than I need. It's about saving money but not losing sound quality for dollars. Thanks any input would be helpful!!!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Omni vs New 192

Do you mean the new HD IO which replaces the old 192? Or do you mean the old 192?

Regardless, the Omni converters are exactly the same as the new HD IO. It's not like before where there was a major difference between the 192 and the 96, etc. These new ones are identical as far as conversion.

And the new ones are significantly better than the old 192.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Do you mean the new HD IO which replaces the old 192? Or do you mean the old 192?

Regardless, the Omni converters are exactly the same as the new HD IO. It's not like before where there was a major difference between the 192 and the 96, etc. These new ones are identical as far as conversion.

And the new ones are significantly better than the old 192.
I was referring to the new 192's that replaced the old ones.

So basically if I am understanding correctly that the new 192
s and the Omni have the same conversion? So sonically there will be no difference in terms sound quality?
Old 12-11-2010, 11:42 AM

Yes.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Okay, it threw me off because the new ones are not called the 192, they're called the HD I/O, even though they look similar in design (though a different color). So, as mentioned, the sound quality is exactly the same, making the Omni a great choice if you only need a few inputs/outputs.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the input NST7. I only need a few I/O for a keyboard and maybe a bass and a guitar. I will be getting an Eleven Rack also so that will go USB or AES/EBU into Omni which i will figure out the best way to set it up.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Yes.
Not quite true.

AVID employees have suggested that the PSU in the HD io is of an ever so slightly higher quality and that this results in a minute increase in sound quality although minor. If you need more IO go for the HD IO. It is the ultimate in quality. One of my colleagues was recently at the comparison tests at Metropolis and preferred the HD i/o over the Apogee Symphony and previously he hasn't been a huge fan of Digi io.

I have tried out an omni it sounds very good, a little complicated, overly so actually, but a really cool one box solution. It does have an analogue insert so you could strap a 1176 across it if you're worried about compression. Pre Amps are good clean and solid sounding, not very flavoured but I like that. Shame ate the moment you can't remote them from PT, but it does pack a lot into a 1 u space. The fan isn't crazy loud but is louder than I expected so a negative point for that. Overall though not perfect, its a good value box that ticks a lot of boxes. If I didn't already own a monitoring section and some very good pres I'd certainly be looking at it for my studio.

Try it out or see it in a shop its definitely worth thinking about, if you need limited io but of a very high quality, 2 high quality pres and a decent up to 7.1 monitor solution in one box, but check the fan first and make sure it would be OK for you. It's something I hope they improve in the near future as for me its the weakest element right now.

Just as an aside the new MBoxes sound amazing really for what they are and cost. The drive by AVID for ADDA that stands up against the competition is not BS as some people have suggested.

I've seen comments like HD io is just a re branded 192, well the box looks similar (hey is more or less the same) but sonically its a beast. Trust your own ears and give them a go.

I've got a 192 I actually like it, always defended it, but I'm saving up for a HD io.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM

Thanks Sirpucho for all the input. I think you're right. I may go with the Avid HD Digital I/O 16x16 and the cost is just under $2.500.00. If I ever need to add the A/D Expansion Card for Pro Tools|HD HD I/O Interfaces it only $1295.00 which is less then the cards from Apogee at $2000.00.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gclef101 View Post
Thanks Sirpucho for all the input. I think you're right. I may go with the Avid HD Digital I/O 16x16 and the cost is just under $2.500.00. If I ever need to add the A/D Expansion Card for Pro Tools|HD HD I/O Interfaces it only $1295.00 which is less then the cards from Apogee at $2000.00.
I could be wrong but don't you need some analogue io? The digital io has none at least that was my understanding. I thoght from your post you needed at least a bit of ADDA in which case the OMNI might be the one. If you already own a dcent monitor section maybe an HD io 8x8x8 is best nice mix of digital and analogue
Old 12-12-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpucho View Post
I could be wrong but don't you need some analogue io? The digital io has none at least that was my understanding. I thoght from your post you needed at least a bit of ADDA in which case the OMNI might be the one. If you already own a dcent monitor section maybe an HD io 8x8x8 is best nice mix of digital and analogue
Nope not right now, because everything I have will go digital into the HD I/O. The Omni I thought would have been the best solution for me because what I have right now is:

- Fantom G8 S/PDIF out
-Eleven Rack AES/EBU out
-JBL LSR4328p AES/EBU in

Right now I don't use any analog connections between my devices. Thanks for the input!!!