Mike Aiton BSc (hons)
Audio Consultant, Dubbing Mixer/Sound Designer & Journalist

BAFTA member
IPS member

----------------------------------------------------------------------
www.mikerophonics.com
Old 03-25-2024, 12:47 PM

Default Re: MacOS Sonoma

macOS Version 14.4.1 (Build 23E224) fixes the iLok and USB hub issues.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
I just did a wipe-and-reload this weekend. I had most every package, plugin and sample library downloaded on an external SSD. It took 3 or so hours to get up-and-running again *after* Ventura was loaded.
Yuck, although I’m glad you’re up and running again! Thanks for responding. Looks like I’ll have to do a clean install also because 14.4.1 is just as bad as 14.4 my Pro Tools system.
Old 03-25-2024, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEROPHONICS View Post
is 14.4.1 better?
It’s worse for me. I’ve now installed 14.4.1 and there’s no improvement. I’m essentially locked out of Pro Tools.

The iLok issue is fixed but now Pro Tools crashes if I try do anything at all in a session, such as pressing play, or loading a plugin. The only thing that I can do with Pro Tools is highlight a section along the timeline, scroll, and go between edit and mix windows. Anything else and I get the beach ball and that’s it.

Currently reinstalling Pro Tools to see if that helps but if not I’ll have to erase Mac and revert OS versions as painlessly as possible.
Old 03-25-2024, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
macOS Version 14.4.1 (Build 23E224) fixes the iLok and USB hub issues.
I must’ve missed this. Can you please explain what the USB hub issues were?
Old 03-25-2024, 04:17 PM

Whilst I didn't seem to have the issue with 14.4, 14.4.1 is working just fine here.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 03-25-2024, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
It’s worse for me. I’ve now installed 14.4.1 and there’s no improvement. I’m essentially locked out of Pro Tools.

The iLok issue is fixed but now Pro Tools crashes if I try do anything at all in a session, such as pressing play, or loading a plugin. The only thing that I can do with Pro Tools is highlight a section along the timeline, scroll, and go between edit and mix windows. Anything else and I get the beach ball and that’s it.

Currently reinstalling Pro Tools to see if that helps but if not I’ll have to erase Mac and revert OS versions as painlessly as possible.
What is your audio hardware?
This sounds like a driver problem for whatever you are using. Have you cleared all the security hurdles in macOS about using audio interfaces? Sometimes that means booting into the recovery mode to allow audio hardware drivers to run. Have you checked with your audio hardware maker on drivers (and compatability)?
Old 03-25-2024, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
What is your audio hardware?
This sounds like a driver problem for whatever you are using. Have you cleared all the security hurdles in macOS about using audio interfaces? Sometimes that means booting into the recovery mode to allow audio hardware drivers to run. Have you checked with your audio hardware maker on drivers (and compatability)?
Hey BScout it’s happening across multiple playback devices (Focusrite Clarett, Apogee Groove, MacBook Pro Speakers). The Clarett is up to date.

Pro Tools was running really nice on 14.3.1 so I’m assuming the 14.4 and subsequent updates are causing the issue. There seems to be a few here who running Pro Tools without any issue on 14.4 so if anyone has any ideas on what is causing this issue please let me know.

My backup to the cloud has another few hours to go before I perform a clean install of Mac OS Sonoma 14.3.1 which I downloaded from MrMacintosh.com - something I really don’t want to do as it feels weird and 14.3.1 was great for me.

I tried setting up a clean session, dragging some audio in, and pressing play and it worked fine, but when I went to choose a plugin Pro Tool froze with the spinning wheel even before the insert menu popped up.

Last edited by thierryhenry; 03-25-2024 at 06:37 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-25-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thierryhenry View Post
Hey BScout it’s happening across multiple playback devices (Focusrite Clarett, Apogee Groove, MacBook Pro Speakers). The Clarett is up to date.

Pro Tools was running really nice on 14.3.1 so I’m assuming the 14.4 and subsequent updates are causing the issue. There seems to be a few here who running Pro Tools without any issue on 14.4 so if anyone has any ideas on what is causing this issue please let me know.

My backup to the cloud has another few hours to go before I perform a clean install of Mac OS Sonoma 14.3.1 which I downloaded from MrMacintosh.com - something I really don’t want to do as it feels weird and 14.3.1 was great for me.

I tried setting up a clean session, dragging some audio in, and pressing play and it worked fine, but when I went to choose a plugin Pro Tool froze with the spinning wheel even before the insert menu popped up.
I believe someone mentioned clearing the plugins cache or something like that ?

Old 03-26-2024, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
I believe someone mentioned clearing the plugins cache or something like that ?

You sir are an absolute LEGEND! Pro Tools is running smoothly again!

I cleared the plugin cache in 2 places before emptying my trash and opening Pro Tools:

1. Waves installer (Waves Central) has options to ‘fix permissions and ownership’ and ‘clear central cache’. I done both of these (which also clawed back over 5GB which was a nice bonus)
2. In Macintosh HD>Library>Preferences there were 3 duplicates of ‘com.avid.ProTools.plist’. I deleted all of these.

After emptying the trash I opened Pro Tools and so far it’s running really snappy and smooth and loading up fairly quickly.

Thank you so much for taking your time to write that reply! So much stress has been alleviated now.

I’m not sure if the 14.4 / iLok issue caused a knock-on effect which caused this to happen, or if I was bound to run into this issue anyway, but I hope if anyone is going through this, they’ll see the fix for it and get back and up and running in no time.

Thanks Basslik and thank you all for your contribution to the DUC.

Last edited by thierryhenry; 03-26-2024 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Spelling and grammar