Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2016, 04:48 AM

Default Exporting MIDI tracks

I don't often need to do this (like maybe once or twice a year) but yesterday I needed to export some MIDI tracks from a PT session over to a Digital Performer project. I selected the MIDI tracks I wanted to export, selected Export MIDI from the pull down menu, answered the dialog box that came up about type of export and clicked okay. Imported that export into DP and what got exported from PT11.3.1 was every MIDI track from the PT session. Is this normal?

Or should I have done something like 'export selected tracks as new session' and then done the MIDI export from there? Or delete all but the MIDI tracks I wanted, do the export and then do an undo to bring all the tracks back?

QAPLA!
Old 04-06-2016, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Exporting MIDI tracks

Jack - Exporting MIDI tracks in PT is a bit odd. Instead of selecting the tracks you want, MUTE the MIDI and/or Instrument tracks you don't want. It'll export the unmuted tracks. See the chapter on Exporting MIDI files in the manual for more info you need it.

That should do it. The export menu gives you a couple of other options as well. (Single file or multi-track, session start, etc)

Hope that helps a little.

Old 04-07-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Jack - Exporting MIDI tracks in PT is a bit odd. Instead of selecting the tracks you want, MUTE the MIDI and/or Instrument tracks you don't want. It'll export the unmuted tracks. See the chapter on Exporting MIDI files in the manual for more info you need it.

That should do it. The export menu gives you a couple of other options as well. (Single file or multi-track, session start, etc)

Hope that helps a little.
Thanks for the tip on muting tracks; it's not something that is logical at all as Mr. Spock would say.

QAPLA!
Old 04-07-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Thanks for the tip on muting tracks; it's not something that is logical at all as Mr. Spock would say.
Yeah, I know. Its the exact opposite of what you'd think. The default is ALL MIDI tracks are exported UNLESS muted. You'd think selecting the tracks you want to export would be the default!

You can do individual clips by just right clicking on the clip itself.

Its an odd arrangement to be sure.