Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2019, 11:10 AM

Default Re: New CLA Plugin - Looks Very Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
I guess we'll have to wait a few years until this plugin is considered 'light' like most older stuff now
About the 1176, that seems to be CLA go-to settings and the truth is it works almost anywhere, if you really feel like experimenting you can always bypass the module and use the other CLA-76 but for what I've experienced, the most important control on the 1176 is the release, I either use fast or slowish attack.

Andrei - I'd be curious to know what it is you notice about the sound that is different using this as opposed to the what you've been using up to this point?

Old 01-26-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Andrei - I'd be curious to know what it is you notice about the sound that is different using this as opposed to the what you've been using up to this point?
Apart from the workflow boost that is the bucket system, this SSL has much more character than the SSL E-Channel, I inserted one instance on every track of a mix without adding any EQ, etc and bypassed all at the same time and the difference is scandalous, lots of character and a big change in the color, something like less bass... something that sounds instantly like hard hitting rock. But that's not enough to make me buy another E-Channel, the bucket system is!
Old 01-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagras View Post
Apart from the workflow boost that is the bucket system, this SSL has much more character than the SSL E-Channel, I inserted one instance on every track of a mix without adding any EQ, etc and bypassed all at the same time and the difference is scandalous, lots of character and a big change in the color, something like less bass... something that sounds instantly like hard hitting rock. But that's not enough to make me buy another E-Channel, the bucket system is!
When you did the insert on all tracks did you use the PT shortcut to do that or insert on one track and then clone it from there (I don't know the Windows shortcut - on a Mac it's option/drag)? If you do the latter keep in mind that all the modules in CLA come up disabled by default.

Being an SSL I wonder what knob color and is it an E or G?

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2019, 12:40 PM

I dl'd the trial version today and am going to messing with it to see how it all works. I don't have any real SSL type plugins, so this might be one I'll get...especially given the price and the bucket system.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
When you did the insert on all tracks did you use the PT shortcut to do that or insert on one track and then clone it from there (I don't know the Windows shortcut - on a Mac it's option/drag)? If you do the latter keep in mind that all the modules in CLA come up disabled by default.

Being an SSL I wonder what knob color and is it an E or G?
Alt+Shift+search box. All modules come up off by default but you have to open every instance anyways to assign them to the buckets.

Quote:
I dl'd the trial version today and am going to messing with it to see how it all works. I don't have any real SSL type plugins, so this might be one I'll get...especially given the price and the bucket system.
Don't forget to use a 10% off code and get it for $62, here is mine
https://www.waves.com/r/xhwkze
Old 01-26-2019, 01:50 PM

Jack, take a look, this is the influence that MixHub with all the modules on has on the frequency spectrum while the E-Channel (CLA's console is an E) doesn't noticeable change it. It is very possible that with all the modules off it still do something but my ears are to tired today for me to be able to tell, I know the E-channel does.
The INPUT module rolls the most lows, the EQ boosts a bit around 1k but you only notice turning it on/off quickly and DYN rolls less lows than INPUT.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Just made an interesting discovery. You've probably seen that you can add some other plugin into a slot in the CLA plug. It doesn't appear that you can add just any Waves plug, though. Oddly, under "effects" on the pull down menu you get when you go to add a plugin in a slot, only my JJP Drums shows up. Curious. However, in the other categories (eq, drynamics, etc) I can choose from a few others, such as the Scheps Omni. That's nice if you might want to use say the Distortion off that, along with everything in the CLA plug.

But wait, there's more...it goes the other way too. In the Scheps Omni you can add a plug as well, and one of the options is the CLA. So, you could use the CLA EQ and/or Compression (the "Bluey) say), but the EQ etc from the Scheps. Nice.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to see an alternate plug in the Bucket view. Maybe I'm not seeing how to do that.

Old 01-26-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Just made an interesting discovery. You've probably seen that you can add some other plugin into a slot in the CLA plug. It doesn't appear that you can add just any Waves plug, though. Oddly, under "effects" on the pull down menu you get when you go to add a plugin in a slot, only my JJP Drums shows up. Curious. However, in the other categories (eq, drynamics, etc) I can choose from a few others, such as the Scheps Omni. That's nice if you might want to use say the Distortion off that, along with everything in the CLA plug.

But wait, there's more...it goes the other way too. In the Scheps Omni you can add a plug as well, and one of the options is the CLA. So, you could use the CLA EQ and/or Compression (the "Bluey) say), but the EQ etc from the Scheps. Nice.

However, there doesn't seem to be a way to see an alternate plug in the Bucket view. Maybe I'm not seeing how to do that.
For the latter - interesting. I'm shut down for the night and will look at it tomorrow.

As to your first observation I seem to remember the same thing when the Scheps Omni Channel dropped and some people weren't seeing all their Waves plugins. IIRC it came down to having to do something with the Waveshell and they all have to be version 10; version 9 Waveshell stuff wasn't showing. This may be the same thing. I agree the the categorization is a it strange.

Here's an odd one to try - you talk about adding the CLA to the Scheps and the Scheps into the CLA. I wonder if you can add a CLA to a CLA? Assuming the computer can handle it before going into meltdown.

QAPLA!
Old 01-26-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
For the latter - interesting. I'm shut down for the night and will look at it tomorrow.

As to your first observation I seem to remember the same thing when the Scheps Omni Channel dropped and some people weren't seeing all their Waves plugins. IIRC it came down to having to do something with the Waveshell and they all have to be version 10; version 9 Waveshell stuff wasn't showing. This may be the same thing. I agree the the categorization is a it strange.

That would make sense. And, yes, most of mine are 9 not 10, so that may be the case. JJP Drums I got only recently, and they were probably 10, so that would explain that.

Quote:
Here's an odd one to try - you talk about adding the CLA to the Scheps and the Scheps into the CLA. I wonder if you can add a CLA to a CLA? Assuming the computer can handle it before going into meltdown.

Not sure what the point would be to do that. As for CPU...yeah, as you said, its a definite CPU hog! And, as I'm on older Win system, I'm a few generations behind the CPU curve. However, I just ran it on a session I did a while back with some 70 tracks, and I put the CLA on 7 of the vocal tracks and into one bucket, and for the most part it ran okay. But when the chorus came up and everything was "all in"...then the playback stopped. Pegged out red on the meter.

I'm guessing that issue will go away once I build my new system with a more recent CPU with more power.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:12 PM

The first time I saw the graphic name, my interpretation of the characters was "Clam 9 Hub".

Who's sure that I'm wrong?