Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control App

Old 12-24-2014, 02:56 PM

Default Re: S3 12V board lights - not working

I have added this as a request in the idea scale if you could all please take a look.

http://protools.ideascale.com/a/dtd/...79?submitted=1

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 01-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
Low importance. How freaking hard is it to turn on something so simple?
Now with the new ideology of AVB & EuCon we probably must get used to stuff getting even longer to be implemented as everything is depending on everything else and testin cycles get longer and longer. On S3L live systems lights also sometimes don't come on for example when you turn the surface off and on again. If that happens you need to go into software settings and use the lights dimmer pot and magically the lights come back. This would indicate, that similar lights control functionality would be needed to be built into Pro Tools... Well.. Does not look too high priority from PT users perspective does it?
Old 01-03-2015, 12:42 PM

And one more thing about the lights... You must check the pinouts of your lamps and S3 first!! I needed to get the lamps re-wired on the connector side as stock lamp pinout did not match the S3 pinout and it is possible to damage the S3 if are not careful. Take this as a heads up in case the feature gets enabled
Old 01-06-2015, 04:24 PM

Seems extremely silly that these wouldn't be able to work in studio mode.

especially because when I power up the board the lights I have plugged in turn on for 15 seconds before shutting back off, it's like a tease.

Don't really need a toggle switch built into eucon control panel or anything like that. I can see how that would take some time to program into the software and might be considered to be a lower priority fix by some. Isn't there a way in the meantime just have the lights default to be powered on, and if you don't want them, then just don't plug them in?

Is there any timeline for when we will get this feature, if ever? I'd like to know whether I should move forward with purchasing some other lighting solution for my console desk and return the XLR lights I already bought, or whether I should just wait and fumble around in the dark until the software is patched.

Post studios can be just as dark or darker then Live venues....

Other then this one issue so far the S3 has served me very well and I've had very little bugs or issues, but I would be much happier if I could see the button labels when I dim the lights for clients.

thx,
Old 01-07-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoundguy77 View Post
Seems extremely silly that these wouldn't be able to work in studio mode.

especially because when I power up the board the lights I have plugged in turn on for 15 seconds before shutting back off, it's like a tease.

Don't really need a toggle switch built into eucon control panel or anything like that. I can see how that would take some time to program into the software and might be considered to be a lower priority fix by some. Isn't there a way in the meantime just have the lights default to be powered on, and if you don't want them, then just don't plug them in?

Is there any timeline for when we will get this feature, if ever? I'd like to know whether I should move forward with purchasing some other lighting solution for my console desk and return the XLR lights I already bought, or whether I should just wait and fumble around in the dark until the software is patched.

Post studios can be just as dark or darker then Live venues....

Other then this one issue so far the S3 has served me very well and I've had very little bugs or issues, but I would be much happier if I could see the button labels when I dim the lights for clients.

thx,
I hope this is a quick fix and we can if need be as you say just have them permanently on and if we want them off just unplug them.

My control room is dark and I could benefit from using the lamps

Avid S3
Artist Transport
Pro Tools HD 12
UAD Apollo 8P
Audient ASP 880
Mac Pro TrashCan
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32GB ram
Adams A77x
UAD Quad Thunderbolt Satellite
Old 06-27-2015, 11:56 AM

Same here,
since button texts are not backlighted, I'd use those lamps as well in the S3 (studio version)
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2015, 03:15 AM

As a possible alternative, I've found a way to make all the buttons on the S3 partially lit up which makes it much easier to use in a low light environment.

1. Put the S3 in setup mode (hold down User, Cancel, View 1 and View 2 buttons and then power up the S3).
2. Select the LED menu.
3. Increase Back/R (for red backlighting) and Back/G (for green).

You'll have to experiment to find the values that work best for you but I settled on 1 for Back/R and 5 for Back/G which gives a subtle backlighting (more subtle than it looks in my photo). If you increase them too much, you will not have a contrast between 'back lit' buttons and 'fully lit' buttons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S3 Backlight.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:08 PM

I just purchased an S3 and would like to have the light function work as does the live version please Tom.

-J
Old 03-03-2016, 03:29 PM

One option would be to use the USB sockets for light fittings instead of the XLRs.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:24 AM

oh my, in a way this is hilarious. Of course it should work , however, before moving it up the list, what about turning the S3 into a useful controller?
Think about banking, visual feedback on automation modes, spilling memory locations on the lcd's just like on the digi003, custom coloring for the soft keys, plug-in focus,...

Those are the things that people have been complaining about most as far as I can see. Fixing those would take a decent programmer a couple of hours at most, right? However, it would save us at least 1-2 hours each day not having to constantly look for automation modes in the mix window, having quick access to memlocs and plug-ins, etc...

Right now, it's just an expensive piece of Fisher Price