Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2016, 01:42 PM

Default TDM at 88.2 and iTunes at 44.1

Hey, I'm using an HD TDM system (Magma chassis and HD cards with an Apogee Symphony). Is there anyway to have the music playing through my monitors when PT is running at 88.2?

If not, what is the best solution for playing iTunes or Spotify when a PT session is running?
Old 09-29-2016, 02:03 PM

Default Re: TDM at 88.2 and iTunes at 44.1

To do what exactly?

The best mechanism for lots of general use is a good external monitor controller, maybe go into that via TOSLINK from the Mac. Grace Audio M905 anyone?

If you have an Omni you can use the mixer/monitor controller in that to do simmilar, modulo possible having to work around clock rate issues using SRC in the Omni.

The symphony may be able to do similar hardware mixing via Mastero. You could either just drive the output S/PDIF at 88.1 or if the Symphony has SRC use that (I cannot recall if they have SRC or not). Either way should be doable.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-29-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:53 PM

I would be using iTunes for a reference to mix to. I have a presonus monitor control, would I be able to get that running? Every time I open itunes, it clicks my Symphony into 44.1 mode, I think that is the issue that need to be worked around. Can you open music files at 88.2?
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppse View Post
I would be using iTunes for a reference to mix to. I have a presonus monitor control, would I be able to get that running? Every time I open itunes, it clicks my Symphony into 44.1 mode, I think that is the issue that need to be worked around. Can you open music files at 88.2?
You can't "open" music files in iTunes at anything other than the rate they are. You can however set the TOSLINK S/PDIF output sample rate in CoreAudio Audio/MIDI setup.

With your Presonus Monitor Control, sure just go into the Presonus with analog out from your Mac. They don't have digital IO at all. And especially if you have the Presonus in your analog output signal path already any signal degradation is already happening to you main mix, and you are hearing both though that controller which is good.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:08 PM

Ah yes a simple and effective solution! The only thing that throws me unsteady is that iTunes would be going through the built in DA converters right? That was why I was hoping to use the Symphony's pretty sounding DA.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esppse View Post
Ah yes a simple and effective solution! The only thing that throws me unsteady is that iTunes would be going through the built in DA converters right? That was why I was hoping to use the Symphony's pretty sounding DA.
But you are putting those relatively high-end converters and analog output thought a cheap Presonus controller box today? Hopefully you have A/B tested that to see if you notice a difference.

You can try what I suggested for using the hardware mixer in the Symphony (that only works if you are going internal to the Symphony, not into an external TDM interface).

External monitor controllers are always likely to be easiest, but you only have so many crayons in one box. Want more crayons you have to buy a bigger box... like a Grace M905 (yes I want one )
Old 09-29-2016, 09:37 PM

Yeah I would love something like an Avocet. I wasn't able to get the Maestro thing working, so I will probably just solder a 1/8 to Dual 1/4 mono cable and plug it straight into the presonus. I haven't AB tested with and without the presonus, but at the time, I'm using it because I needed an affordable real knob to adjust the volume in case of volume spikes. I would be able to reach over to my rack where the Symphony is. Hopefully it's not degrading it too much. Thanks for the tips!