How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Default S6 Stuck on Initializing Network

Hey All,

My S6 console was working perfectly. About a week ago, after a shut down of the studio one night and a powering up the next day, the S6 will not complete its startup. The Master Module touchscreen is stuck on "Initializing network interface and services (this may take a minute or two)..." or in my case, 6+ days. The module screens are stuck on "Waiting for Network".

On my Mac Pro trashcan, the first ethernet port is being used for internet and connecting our Dante network, and the second is being used for the S6 controller.

In the WS Control App, I used to be able to switch between multiple network interfaces so I could select the second ethernet port, but now, it only shows the first ethernet port.

Nothing has changed in the network settings from what I've been able to tell.

I currently don't know how to update the software because the guides all start from the home screen on the master module, but I can't get there without the network initializing.

Please let me know if you need any information from me to help solve this issue. Thanks!

Chris
Old 08-25-2016, 12:04 PM
Avid

Default Re: S6 Stuck on Initializing Network

Greetings,

I would recommend contacting S6 support to expedite the process of getting you back up and running. They would need to determine the particular configuration you have established (internal DHCP via MTM vs external router) and to ensure that everything is communicating properly. If WSControl is not connected to the correct NIC and seeing an IP address in the same range as the console modules you have a red flag right there. Let me know if everything gets sorted.

S6 Support: (650) 237-1700

best,
Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 08-25-2016, 07:10 PM
Avid

This sounds like the S6 switch is either not powered up or failed. Neither the Master Module or the WS are seeing the S6 Switch.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:24 PM

IIRC this has something to do with the S6 inexplicably having trouble resolving its own IP address in a closed network. I believe if you switch the ethernet connection on the inside of the S6 from port 2 to 1 (or it may be vice versa, going off fuzzy memory here), and then on the other end, temporarily connect the S6 to your Dante/Internet network so that your router can give it an IP address and a DHCP lease. Then start it up and it will actually have an IP again, at which point you can then switch it all back to your original network connection and everything will once again be hunky dory. Until it happens again, probably a few months or so down the road, that is. I've dealt with that very issue a couple times at work myself.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:54 PM
Avid

If using the internal DHCP then the network adapter has to have a fixed IP and does not need to get one from anywhere. Switching from port 2 to port 1 and visa versa would require network settings to be changed for it to work correctly.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:55 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispalowitch View Post
Hey All,

My S6 console was working perfectly. About a week ago, after a shut down of the studio one night and a powering up the next day, the S6 will not complete its startup. The Master Module touchscreen is stuck on "Initializing network interface and services (this may take a minute or two)..." or in my case, 6+ days. The module screens are stuck on "Waiting for Network".

On my Mac Pro trashcan, the first ethernet port is being used for internet and connecting our Dante network, and the second is being used for the S6 controller.

In the WS Control App, I used to be able to switch between multiple network interfaces so I could select the second ethernet port, but now, it only shows the first ethernet port.

Nothing has changed in the network settings from what I've been able to tell.

I currently don't know how to update the software because the guides all start from the home screen on the master module, but I can't get there without the network initializing.

Please let me know if you need any information from me to help solve this issue. Thanks!

Chris
Did you get this resolved ?
Old 10-08-2016, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyh3dron View Post
IIRC this has something to do with the S6 inexplicably having trouble resolving its own IP address in a closed network. I believe if you switch the ethernet connection on the inside of the S6 from port 2 to 1 (or it may be vice versa, going off fuzzy memory here), and then on the other end, temporarily connect the S6 to your Dante/Internet network so that your router can give it an IP address and a DHCP lease. Then start it up and it will actually have an IP again, at which point you can then switch it all back to your original network connection and everything will once again be hunky dory. Until it happens again, probably a few months or so down the road, that is. I've dealt with that very issue a couple times at work myself.
Just wanted to say thanks! This worked perfectly!