Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 AM

Default Window Management

Hi!

I have a very simple but important request concerning plugin windows:
working on or clicking on a plugin from the S6 surface opens the window of that plugin in Pro Tools. But if I already had that window open (target button unattentioned), then that window is closed! My request is that untargeted windows should not be changed at all when working on the S6 surface.

Explanation: My dialog bus is 5.1 and it contains some 4 multi-mono plugins like Deesser, Compressor, which I want to view at all times and I will want to see whats going on in the center channel. Per default, multi-monos show you the L channel, so what I do is I open the plugins I constantly want to monitor, untarget them, and set them to view the C channel. Now on S6 when I want modify say the Deesser, I click on inserts on that channel and push the knobwheel of the Deesser, in that moment my stationary window closes and a new one opens, the new one is targeted and its set to L channel... its quite "challenging" during a busy mix.

Another point is that PI windows don't seem to open correctly when in 'All' mode. Haven't gotten to the bottom of this but I guess there's a problem in communication. will have to investigate more.

Best
Gregor
Old 02-19-2016, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Window Management

+1

definitely!! This should also be implemented on the System 5 as well. Incredibly annoying feature...
Old 02-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Avid

I agree that there is room for improvement regarding S6 and window management. Let me explore a few workflows and write up some observations. I also agree that an untargeted plug-in window should stay put as was the original intention of managing multiple windows in Pro Tools.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-14-2016, 09:15 AM

Dear Jeff,

There are still major issues with window management on the S6. I mix on the S6 everyday and I mix on the System 5 MC everyday and the way plugin windows behave on both consoles is pretty much identical (it has got to be a EUCON issue) and it is in every way unsatisfying - on both consoles.

- First of all, simply opening the EQ window (e.g. channelstrip) by pressing the EQ button wont work in 90% of the cases (pressing Dyn and then EQ right after is a workaround)
- Opening a PI window from the console, of a plugin that was already open (untargeted) closes that window, which defeats the purpose of a target button
- and last but not least: changing from one layout to the next (again both S6 and System5 MC) will shuffle around plugin windows that are open in that moment (untargeted). even if I save all my open plugins as a window configuration and save that window configuration with every single layout I use. It will still shuffle around and close most of my open windows.

This issue is more timedrenching than missing plugin mapping.
Lets try to solve it, if you need any more information, Im here to help!

Thanks and Best
Gregor

Last edited by Gregor B.; 10-14-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: no time earlier
Old 10-14-2016, 09:37 AM
Avid

I agree 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MTRX FAQ
Old 10-14-2016, 01:12 PM

completed my previous post, I was in too much of a hurry earlier. Thanks for looking into it!
Old 02-15-2017, 01:24 AM

Yesterday I noticed big improvements with window management on my S6 and my Euphonix System-5MC. Both PT versions were updated to 12.7. Eg the windows didnt shuffle around anymore when changing layouts, awesome. Havent checked all other points I had. Did this fix come with 12.7 and a better Eucom protocol in general? It doesnt seem to be S6 3.5 cause my Euphonix also improved.
Best G
Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 PM
Avid

S6, S3, Artist Series and MCPro all share the same EUCON and release schedule now, so most fixes will be across the board. PT includes the EUCON adapter and is responsible for a lot of what happens on the consoles. So yes a PT release alone can effect the surfaces.