Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-19-2020, 04:03 PM

Default Crossfade "" is invalid because its right contributor is a fade.

Just had this error pop up in a session that was working just fine yesterday. Sample from the error log:

Invalid fades (these fades cannot be regenerated if they go offline)

Fade in "" at 20:02.958 on playlist "DX SMVoice" is invalid because its right contributor is a fade.

The error log contains hundreds of edits on multiple (mostly dialogue) tracks. When the session opens the clips referenced in the log are missing from the timeline entirely. All of the associated playlists with alternate versions for those tracks are missing as well. Even more strangely, in some places there seems to be random replacement clips. For example, bits of SFX from a different track much later in the session popping up where missing dialogue should be.

Furthermore, the source files for the clips that are missing are not appearing in the Clip List or in the workspace window associated with this session. However, the source audio is present, visible and playable in the sessions associated "audio" folder using finder or the volumes tree in the workspace window.

This error occurs when opening any of the 30+ backup files going back 2 days. Well before the issue cropped up for the first time.

It seems to me that this is a referencing issue. There have been earlier posts dating back to 2009 and PT 7 about this issue but most reference replacing "fade files" but these are no longer used in PT.

I've tried several options to get the session (or a copy of the session) to see all the audio actually present in the audio folder with no luck.

Any ideas on why this is happening and how to resolve it? Obviously i'd really like to not have to re-edit all the dialogue for this entire episode.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Crossfade "" is invalid because its right contributor is a fade.

i've seen this a bunch.

dig through your session file backups folder to see if there's a .ptx that is roughly DOUBLE the size of your session which got hit by the bug. sure fire way to tell.

bummer. i have had a suspicion this has to do with clip effects.
Old 09-24-2020, 01:46 AM

How did you manage to sort it out? Found the root cause?
Old 10-22-2020, 09:48 AM

This happened to us as well just now on a major film project, causing insane repercussions, three days worth of work gone.
The PT version it happened on was 2020.5.

Quite ironic, because we upgraded from 2019.12 because of "some clips have invalid bounds and were adjusted or deleted", the error that infamously corrupted sessions on 2019.10 and 2019.12.

AVID, please look into this!
These are the most serious errors PT versions have had in years. We are loosing funds and trust here.

Best,
Gregor
Old 05-26-2021, 01:43 PM

Sorry for the long delay in closing out this thread. Unfortunately I can't say the problem is resolved but I do want to put up a final post for anyone who searches the DUC for this error.

I had an extensive back and forth with Avid regarding this issue. This is a known bug and one that, as noted by others, has been around for a while. Avid is also painfully aware that it is a serious problem when it occurs. Unfortunately, they tell me that it is extremely rare and one they have not been able to recreate in house.

It seems what is happening is that the data for the clip list becomes corrupted somehow and it no longer can recreate the clips in the timeline. Pro tools doesn't notify you when this corruption occurs nor does the program crash. Even worse the error will be written to all your automatic backup files post the point of corruption. Generally you won't notice the problem until you've closed out of pro tools and return to the project at a later date.

Even worse, there is no way to retrieve the lost data... Your only saving grace is to hopefully still retain a backup (auto or otherwise) that was created before the corruption occurred. But, if you're reading this thread, you've probably discovered you no longer possess one.

Avid insists that they are working to chase down this bug and fix it. I recommend anyone getting this error contact Avid support so that they can gather all the data possible in hopes of chasing it down and squashing it.

I, personally, have not had this error occur again since my original post eight months ago. However, out of sheer terror, I have greatly increased the number of backups I automatically keep and ensure that they span back at least two working days - which is still a lot of work to lose.

If you're reading this you're probably freaking out about the potential of a lot of lost work. I'm sorry I am not able to tell you you can get it back.
Old 01-16-2023, 03:05 PM

This same problem has happened once here and there at our studio as well last 2 years, and at remote editor's stations too. Hit Avid support again so hopefully the issue becomes a high priority at SOME POINT.

Our work around for anyone wondering is we wrote a script that watches the PTX file and notifies you as soon as it goes down in size. Once you're notified you close session and go back to your previous backup which is set to every 1min. Hope it helps!