Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Question about setting up a session files, saving/bouncing

Hi All,

I recorded my first band practice last night, and I must admit, I'm so impressed. It came out great.

Here is the scoop: I setup a file called "band template". which has all the tracks and settings and routings of 6 Tracks total. I figured rather than creating a new session each time, just have one template, right?

After each recording, I did a "File / Save As" and gave the new session a new name. However, in doing so, each session has the regions from the previous session. By the end of the night, each song had all the regions of other songs. So, if I'm in Song B and delete the regions of song A, song A can no longer find the regions... Yikes!

Also, if Song B runs shorter than Song A and I Bounce Song B to MP3, the remaining regions from Song A will also record to the MP3 after song b is finished playing.

What is the best practice to record a band practice?

Thanks in advance! pg
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR 4
Internal 2TiB SSD
Pro Tools 2024.3
EuCon 4.8.6.41 / 2023.11
UA Luna
UAD 11
UA Apollo Twin X
Avid S1 / Fire10 - 21.8.1.0
PreSonus DigiMax FS 8-input ADAT
Dynaudio Monitors
PreSonus Temblor 10 Sub

Check my Music out here:

Paul G YouTube

Paul G Bandcamp
Old 09-21-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Re: Question about setting up a session files, saving/bounci

You can record everything in one session template.

Then use the selector tool to highlight from song A start to song A end. Then Bounce to disk will only bounce the timeline selected. Pretty easy to seperate songs in bouncing.

Then if you want to take it a step further, you can do a File > Save Copy In, in the items to copy box on the save copy in window, check 'All Audio Files'. And Make an entire backup of the whole practice. Open up the new copy and make sure its all there.

Now you can basically open one of them highlight and delete all audio except one song, Clear the Region bin of unused audio files and then do another save copy in with all audio files.

Basically you can piece out new sessions of individual songs if you do it like this.

Maybe someone can simplify this explanation if it doesn't make sense...
Old 09-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Question about setting up a session files, saving/bouncing

If I understand correctly what you want, you want to set up a session template then just open it up and it's all set to record? If so, set it up the way you want, inputs, plug-in's, etc, and save it without any recordings on it. Save it as your template. Then open it up and do a "Save As" from that, then do your recording from the new Save As. That way no regions are on it because nothing has been recorded. There's also a way to make your file a Read Only so that it can only be used with a "Save As" command. I'd have to look it up to see how to do that, but as long as your file is only used as a template it shouldn't be a problem.
Dan'o
Old 09-26-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: Question about setting up a session files, saving/bouncing

COULD NOT COMPLETE THE BOUNCE TO DISK COMMAND BECAUSE ASSERTION IN "/VLOUMES/DEVELOPMENT/VB_CLIFF/ALTURAPORTS/NEWFILELIBS/FILEFORMAT/MACBUILD/../../FF_AUDIOPROPERTY.CPP", LINE 33.
This is the error I get when I try to bounce a file that's only 30 sec long. Mind you I can bounce the whole track which is 3:50 sec long and I can also bounce the file at 28 sec long and can't do a 30 sec bounce. What am I doing wrong, please help
I have a mini mbox and 002 with a macbook pro 10.4.10 2.2ghz 2gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:55 AM

Default Re: Question about setting up a session files, saving/bounci

COULD NOT COMPLETE THE BOUNCE TO DISK COMMAND BECAUSE ASSERTION IN "/VLOUMES/DEVELOPMENT/VB_CLIFF/ALTURAPORTS/NEWFILELIBS/FILEFORMAT/MACBUILD/../../FF_AUDIOPROPERTY.CPP", LINE 33.
This is the error I get when I try to bounce a file that's only 30 sec long. Mind you I can bounce the whole track which is 3:50 sec long and I can also bounce the file at 28 sec long and can't do a 30 sec bounce. What am I doing wrong, please help
I have a mini mbox and 002 with a macbook pro 10.4.10 2.2ghz 2gb 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM