Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-16-2003, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange prog?

Meaning what, exactly? No more accel upgrades, but there WILL be future upgrade programs from HD cards to the next generation hardware? That would be OK with me (irrespective of the current offensive pricing structure) but it still needs to be made clear.

Jeff's question is valid given the extremely obtuse (on purpose? Gee, dya' think?) nature of The official Digi statement, and "Prodinfo"'s response doesn't clear up anything. Itis purposefully unclear, IMO, which is as offensive as the whole HD and upgrade mess.

Also, One would have to infer from "Prodinfo"'s response that the will continue to be Mix-card to accell upgrades available, just not HD-cards to Accell. That can't be right.

Don't worry, I'm sure Digi will clear things up on Dec 21st.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Avid

Default Re: Digi are you stopping your hardware exchange p

Hi all,

I'd like to further clarify a few points regarding the HD Process to HD Accel card exchange that ends on December 20. Since this offer will not be extended, we want to make sure current Pro Tools|HD owners fully understand this exchange path so that no one "misses the boat" and everyone can make an informed decision before the offer ends.

1. The HD core card is unchanged in Pro Tools|HD Accel systems, so the only thing an owner of an original Pro Tools|HD system needs to do is exchange their HD Process card(s) up to HD Accel card(s).

2. After December 20, 2003, there will be no Hardware Exchange available for Pro Tools|HD owners to move up to the equivalent of Pro Tools|HD Accel.

3. The non-exchange price of an HD Accel card is $4,995 US List. These can be purchased and added as a supplement to your existing Pro Tools|HD system, or as a replacement for your HD Process card(s).

4. When referring to our various hardware offers, Digidesign uses the term "Hardware Exchange" instead of "upgrade" to make it clear that these purchases involve “exchanging”(returning) some or all of the components of a system for something newer and more powerful at a discounted price. You're welcome to use these terms interchangeably, but be careful that you don't confuse yourself or others!

If you have questions about our Hardware Exchange Programs, please call 888-636-3444 in North America. Customers in other parts of the world should contact their local Digidesign office.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:57 AM

All the upgrades include some sort of exchange (you have to give away your old hardware), didn't they? So, what's really the difference?
Old 12-16-2003, 10:02 AM

Prodinfo,

Fair enough.

Thanks. That was a fast response!
Old 12-16-2003, 11:35 AM

ProdInfo:

There still remains one issue to be cleared up:

1. Someone owns a regular HD system.

2. They do not participate in the Process to Accel hardware exchange program ending Dec. 20th.

3. The next Pro Tools system comes out (after Accel).

Question:
Will there be a hardware exchange program to go from their original HD to this future Pro Tools system?

I think this is the question many HD users are pondering.

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:03 PM

I've been a ProTools owner since the beginning, and I've seen many times (well, at leat two that affected me) when Digi anounces a cutoff date for exchanges, and then comes out with another exchange program months later.

I think that it is great that Digi has an exchange program at all. I wish all manufacturers did.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:38 PM

Will see how they deal with this next year......Many studio's in my area are holding off on upgrading since they just got screwed on the HD systems.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:32 PM

Quote:
All the upgrades include some sort of exchange (you have to give away your old hardware), didn't they? So, what's really the difference?
Maybe with "upgrades" he was referring to software upgrades, like the version 6 upgrades, where you don't send anything back?

Quote:
1. Someone owns a regular HD system.
2. They do not participate in the Process to Accel hardware exchange program ending Dec. 20th.
3. The next Pro Tools system comes out (after Accel).
Question:
Will there be a hardware exchange program to go from their original HD to this future Pro Tools system?
I think this is the question many HD users are pondering.
I don't see anything to indicate that there won't be. Although the wording is a little odd, it seems that the statement in question is referring specifically to the Accel card upgrades. I think when they say that there won't be any more "programs of its kind" they're saying that come December 21st they won't be offering an Accel upgrade at $2999 instead of $2499 or whatever it is...you'll only be able to buy an Accel card outright.

They've said all along that the Accel cards aren't so much a replacement for, but rather an addition to, the HD systems, so I don't see why you'd suspect that when they do come out with a replacement for the HD systems there won't be an upgrade path as there always has been (and, as others have pointed out, is still in place for upgrades from Mix and LE systems).

-Duardo