Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-07-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Re: Power Mac G5 & Digidesign PCI Cards

Firewire in general is a bit of a worry IMHO. Considering the number of problems I've seen with the Firewire (as a qualified electronics tech.) I'm a little nervous about anything Firewire.
Yet another reason I'll probably keep my 001 until I go HD.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:31 AM

I'm sorry too Citi. The whole thing was really stupid now that I think about it. I'm not really old school. I made about 160 posts as ghostman420. I changed my screen name because I'm not into the 420 anymore. I think part of my attitude is due to the detoxification process. I got some literature on it. Most people might have one or two of the side effects; whereas I have every single one of them. I've got kids and I can't tell them not to do it if I'm doing it myself. Besides, think of how much nice equipment I could be buying with all that money, instead of it just going up in smoke.

Sorry again Citi, I'll be nice now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2003, 12:45 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Slim Shady:
Quote:
if you look through my 1300+ posts, you'll be hard pressed to find any that are actually 'mean'

Well, it's become obvious to me know that you are just a troll...in your own twisted mind... continuing to react like a child with every post you make...
Quote:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Turns out I didn't have to look very far Slim

I'm not trying to pick fights Slim. I've just noticed a lot of your posts are a bit agressive. And the proof lies above. While you were explaining that your posts weren't mean, you were writing mean things. If calling me a Troll and a child, and saying I have a twisted mind isn't mean; then I don't know what is.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:50 AM

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ok dude, you're hopeless. I picked my words carefully, and I don't think anything I compared you too in that post was unwarranted given what you were dishing out. It's pretty hypocritical of you to rip into people the way you were, then turn around and cry about people being mean to you. Remember, YOU brought my name into this... No-one else seems to find me "aggressive", but I can deal with you having some wierd issue with me - all I have to do is look back at the hundreds of folks that I have helped over the years to know that I am a positive contributer here, I don't need your validation, and your lack thereof doesn't make me bad person.

I can't believe I let you sucker me into one of these pointless arguments, making me do the one thing I hate on the DUC - eating up space with off topic discussions. I guess that's what being home sick with the flu gets me. My apologies to anyone sifting through this thread looking for any relevant information - hopefully you found all you need by this time.

Chris, I wish you the best and hope that your future brings you better things.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:59 AM

It does kinda suck that 001 cards wont work in the new G5. For me that means a G5 purchase is going to be put off for a while. Especially considering the reliability issues represented here on the DUC regarding the oo2, and oo2r.
This isnt a poor mans hobby. Realistically, who really needs a G5 and a interface with all the bells and witneses? Perhaps only those who actuall make money doing this work?

The G5 is great, accolades to apple for raising the bar. Unfortunatly it is too little too late.

Too bad all that raw power wont affect DAW users much for at least a couple of years.

To those freaking out over the news, relax, it really isnt that big of a deal.

I doubt the trade in deal will be a good deal, but a simple path to compatability. But hey, Surprise us.
Old 08-07-2003, 06:21 AM

i think the only (good) reason to upgrade to 002r is to have better converters and G5 compatibility.

Firewire interfaces have much higher latencies than PCI cards. That's a fact.

Anyway i was planning to take a G5, so perhaps i'll do the upgrade. Does the upgrade will apply to Audiomedia3 too (old card? Also without the toolbox (or protools software) but with the old session software ?i am using A3 in my PC now using ASIO drivers only.

I think i will keep my good old digi001 for my PC too, if the upgrade from old audiomedia3 is possible(without toolbox xp).

Ste
Old 08-07-2003, 11:48 AM

Well quite honestly this pisses me right off. I haven't had my 001 for more than a year and now it's obsolete. When looking at apple's specs for their pci slots...they said they are all backwards compatible...meaning they should work with the 001.

Now there are three possibilities. 1), They won't work. 2) They will work and Digi says they won't so you'll buy an upgrade and give them yet another 800$ so you can use their program with ONLY their hardware. 3) It's been a misunderstanding cause no one has tested this yet.

From the info I've been presented it seems to me like #2. Apple said in their keynote speech that the PCI slots would be backwards compatible and also in they there long PDF spec about the G5. Digi only lists what they think won't be compatible. How many times did they say brandnew G4s weren't compatible with protools or that the new version of osx wasn't compatible only to be wrong when people actually got their hands on them and tested themselves. Smells like marketing to me.

I'm getting more than a little frustrated with Digi. There 6.x le versions sucks. It crashes non-stop. (trashing prefs and ... lah lah lah). This may be the point where I simply abandon PT altogether. It's not like the core audio driver even works either...another argument altogether about competition vs. compatibilty.

The metric Halo portable I/o looks more and more like the card to get. word clock, AES/EBU, mic pres, and fully portable. And maybe I'll saty with Digi with there little blue dongle for their program..the M-box.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Avid

Hi Threshold,

I can understand your disappointment, but the Digi 001 will not work and cannot be physically installed in the Power Mac G5.

Because the G5 only supports 3.3 V-capable cards (the Digi 001 PCI card is 5.0 V), there is a barrier in its' PCI slots that prevent you from even attempting to install a card that is keyed (by a notch in the card) for a different voltage.
Old 08-07-2003, 05:34 PM

So maybe Digi should come out with 002 and 002r with Firewire 2.

Wiz
Old 08-07-2003, 06:56 PM

this sucks.
the upgrade price also made me laugh. like they're doing me a favour.

i've been using Logic instead of ptLE for the past 2 months, no complaints, so i can't see myself switching back for now... and when it's time to get a new computer G5, i have to replace it with an 002r?
is it better than the 828mkII?

well it looks like either Apple or Digidesign is going to lose my business, and i can't imagine myself switching back to a PC....