Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2000, 04:05 PM

Default Re: cheap components!

I can still remember my first impression when I saw ProControl at dealer's office. He was proudly showing something that looked identical to any home studio equipment - small, cheap plastic finish - something that didn't look like robust peace of studio equipment. Later, convinced by ProTools automation capabilities, I accepted the PC, but it still fails to convince my clients at first sight. You should be able to at least lean against a console in a studio without damaging it, and with PC, you should think twice before touching it, it's so fragile!
And now, when after a year components begin to show first signs of problems, I remember my first impressions and dream about a real professional system, built to last...
Strange enough Digi responded immediately to those cover paint issues, but not a single word about my problem.
Branko
Old 10-05-2000, 04:18 PM

I'm letting you know digi, I need a replacement for my PC armrest and my Mission Control arm rest. Mark at Gallery who sell the Mision Control , made from fader packs Digi sells them, has said he can't get any responce from you about swapping mine out. 9obviously made with the old faulty paint) The PC main unit suffers from bubling and is one watch scratch from peeling. So How about it? Both are looking crappy.
Thanks,
Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-05-2000, 07:52 PM

Ours has a few watch scratches, and I would like a free replacement, just out of principle.

The new one should have at least 1/4" thick rubber, padded leather would be acceptable too.

I am not joking. This is DISGRACEFUL business practice, to cut such huge corners on a $10,000 item!

And I also noticed how you responded immediately about the arm-rest, but not to branco who started the thread, asking about a much more important problem. I find this DISTURBING.

------------------
Angelo Quaglia
AQ Productions

Cheers,
Angelo Quaglia
Old 10-06-2000, 03:38 AM

Gannon (our ProControl guy at digi) can you help us all out here?

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 10-06-2000, 08:14 AM
Avid

Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to document some of your concerns and suggestions here. We appreciate it and take your input seriously.

Branco, we have not had alot of reports like yours on the rotary encoders in the PC. Please call your nearest Digi office and speak with Tech Support. They can work out the appropriate RA procedures with you.

Same for your issues Jules and Angelo. The fastest way to resolve this is to give the closest Digi office a call and get with Tech Support.
http://www.digidesign.com/about/indxcontact.html/

Bob Langlie
Director of Customer Service
Digidesign
Old 10-06-2000, 03:06 PM

The paint near the Play/stop/rec buttons is dying (not the paint in the arm rest). I guess it is because my fingers.
Any body????
Mine is not 1 year old.
Old 10-10-2000, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the response, Bob, I'll contact the nearest service centre.
But, to come back to the original problem, the solution you are proposing (and for which I'm sure will resolve my problem) will NOT resolve the basic problem PC has - cheap materials used in construction.
I have the feeling that you guys at Digi aren't aware of the power of the product you put on the market, in other words, I'm sure you underestimated it, and now it's difficult to make a quick change.
Once again, build it more robust, more Pro, if possible.
Branko
Old 10-11-2000, 01:57 PM
Avid

Branco (and others). Thanks for your ideas and concerns regd. the Pro Control product. We are well aware of the material flaws the product has experienced in it's short market life. We in support and manufacturing have been doing our best to address and fix these problems in as timely a fashion as possible. Whether or not you're in or out of warranty, we try to be fair and prompt when it comes to your satisfaction with the product and our service.

I cannot speak for the depts. in Digi that design and market the Pro Control. It's fair to say though, that considering the success of the product (it's been extremely successful), there are plan afoot to expand and improve the product. I know this for a fact. In other words, we are very aware of the "power of the product". No matter what you spend on a high end, high profile, major brand name product, you have the right to expect quality and service. Digi is trying to
meet those expectations now and most certainly in the future. The Pro Control was the first product of it's kind at Digidesign. We had never produced or sold this type of hardware before. It was a huge effort and all factors considered, a worthy one. Not perfect, but successful beyond our expectations.

So, what does this mean for you ? It means good things when it comes to second generation design. Digi has learned a tremendous amount about high end dedicated controller products by producing the Pro Control. It won't happen overnight, but you will see Digi high end hardware develop and improve and (hopefully) give you all the features and quality you've stated that you want.

Look at the development of Pro Tools.
In less that ten years it has gone from a basic two track wave editing program (Sound Designer),to a marquee product that has changed the professional audio industry forever. The Pro Control product will not take nearly that long to develop. We have learned, and Digi will deliver. Stay tuned, and don't be shy about letting us fix any problems you have with your Pro Controls or Fader Packs. Our goal in service is your satisfaction and the continued use or our products. Thanks for listening.

Tom Siebo
Digidesign Customer Service
Old 10-11-2000, 04:39 PM

Tom,
thanks for the reply. This is the last time I'll write something on this issue - I hope I made my point clear in my previous posts. For conclusion, I'll just say that any system or equipment can and will be judged by it's weakest component or element. If you put a Ford Fiesta (forgive me guys for this example, nothing personal) engine in a F1 car, nobody is going to think it can be competitive.
Nobody would like to see this project abandoned for silly resaons. BTW, when you fix those knobs and metalwork, I'm sure the armrest will be better, too.
Branko

[This message has been edited by branco (edited October 11, 2000).]