Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2000, 02:05 PM

Default Multiple ProControls on a common Ethernet Hub

I am experiencing a situation where I have 2 Pro-Control systems on a common Ethernet network and therefore I can "see" all MainUnits and all FaderPaks of both ProTools systems in either "Periferials" window on each ProTools program.

Are all MAINUNITS and FADERPAKS given a unique address at the factory and/or can we(the end-user) set unique addresses of any of these units.

Old 09-12-2000, 04:10 PM
Avid

Default Re: Multiple ProControls on a common Ethernet Hub

R. Austin
To use multiple Procontrols on one ethernet
hub, set up ethernet zones for appleshare
for each or the Procontrols,
then select that zone in the Chooser.
MJ
Digidesign tech Support
Old 09-14-2000, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Multiple ProControls on a common Ethernet Hub

I understand your reply but it doesn't satisfy my requirements nor have you answered my question. I'll try to better explain the situation . . .

To enable each of the Macintosh computers (that are host to a Protools/Pro-Control program) to share communication with a commmon Video Server system via ethernet we are uplinking from each Pro-Control's ethernet switch to an ethernet switch feeding the Video Server. It is across this path that the Pro-Controls are "communicating". The Video Server is a common (single) "Zone" and is required. Further, I expect to be adding more Pro-Control systems into this combination in the near future.

We know at this point that each of the units that we have purchased to date have some form of address - as witnessed on the lower display/4th and 5th position of the fader packs and MainUnits and that this address is unique (different).

If we can get a confirmation from Digidesign that these addresses are ALWAYS unique, then by appropriately naming every MainUnit and FaderPack we can control this situation.

I repeat, Are all MAINUNITS and FADERPAKS given a unique address at the factory and/or can we(the end-user) set unique addresses of these units.

Of course, the ideal situation would be if ProTools had the ability to "hide" certain MAINUNITS and FADERPAKS from the other systems via the peripherals window.

NOTE: About 10 minutes after I posted this note I received a phone call from Chris at Digidesign that answered my questions about the address numbers.

Thanks guys !

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">quote:<HR>Originally posted by TechSupt:
R. Austin
To use multiple Procontrols on one ethernet
hub, set up ethernet zones for appleshare
for each or the Procontrols,
then select that zone in the Chooser.
MJ
Digidesign tech Support
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by R. Austin (edited September 13, 2000).]