Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > MBOX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2023, 03:09 PM

Default No Volume Control in Software (Windows 11)

First of all I just unpacked my Mbox Studio and the overall impression is great.
But I have 2 major issues:

Windows Audio Volume does not affect the output on the Mbox.
Even "mute" does not do anything.

If I try to use the big volume knob in Mbox Control, the interface(! not the software) crashes. No button on the mbox will do anything unless I pull the power plug and make a power cycle that way. The power button does not do anything in that state.

In result I have no way in controlling the volume in a convenient way through software.

The hardware knobs work fine as long as I dont touch the knob in Mbox Control.

Pro Tools works fine aswell.

I already reinstalled all mbox related drivers.

Please help, I really dont want to return the mbox. It is by far the most feature complete desktop interface on the market.

Mbox Control: 1.0.1
Old 08-25-2023, 03:21 PM

Default Re: No Volume Control in Software (Windows 11)

It is not clear what you are going but Windows Sound should not be using the Mbox while you are using the interface with a DAW - and Pro Tools uses ASIO to communicate with this interface, Windows knows nothing about ASIO and cannot control its output level. So you should not expect Windows to control any volume.

I would not know an Mbox Studio if it bit me, but did you try a factory reset?

But beyond that it seems you have enough going wrong here you might be better off contacting Avid support. See info at https://www.avid.com/products/mbox-s...rn-and-support

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 08-25-2023 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-25-2023, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It is not clear what you are going but Windows Sound should not be using the Mbox while you are using the interface with a DAW. So you should not expect Windows to control any volume.

I would not know an Mbox Studio if it not me, but did you try a factory reset?

But beyond that it seems you have enough going wrong here you might be better off contacting Avid support. See info at https://www.avid.com/products/mbox-s...rn-and-support
Thanks for your reply!

In terms of windows volume control i am aware that it should only affect windows system audio not ASIO. But it simply does not affect anything.

Factory Reset I tried, sadly it did not help.

Contacting support I will :)
Old 08-27-2023, 08:44 AM

Hmmm, not sure why as my Mbox Studio is working fine. A few things to consider:
1-you CAN use the Mbox for all non-PT sound(I do every day).
2-one quirk is; if you just want to hear non-PT sound, it comes in on one set of inputs, BUT, if you want loopback(so you can record non-PT audio into a PT session), you must enable Loopback(in Mbox Control) and then it comes in on ADAT 7&8(not the same as simply listening)
3-I did have one weird day where things were messed up and not working correctly and the "fix" was to change to another preset, then back to the preset I usually use.
Not sure if this helps, but its worth sharing

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-07-2023, 05:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha5strings View Post
First of all I just unpacked my Mbox Studio and the overall impression is great.
But I have 2 major issues:

Windows Audio Volume does not affect the output on the Mbox.
Even "mute" does not do anything.

If I try to use the big volume knob in Mbox Control, the interface(! not the software) crashes. No button on the mbox will do anything unless I pull the power plug and make a power cycle that way. The power button does not do anything in that state.

In result I have no way in controlling the volume in a convenient way through software.

The hardware knobs work fine as long as I dont touch the knob in Mbox Control.

Pro Tools works fine aswell.

I already reinstalled all mbox related drivers.

Please help, I really dont want to return the mbox. It is by far the most feature complete desktop interface on the market.

Mbox Control: 1.0.1
Hiya, David here from Community. I already saw that you have a case opened for this. Thanks for doing so! I'll be monitoring this.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micha5strings View Post
Thanks for your reply!

In terms of windows volume control i am aware that it should only affect windows system audio not ASIO. But it simply does not affect anything.

Factory Reset I tried, sadly it did not help.

Contacting support I will :)
Were you ever able to figure out a solution? I’ve opened a ticket for the same issue. No matter the Windows System Volume, it doesn’t affect Windows audio.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:29 PM

Somehow I was able to get my Windows volume control to affect Windows sounds. However after a shut down and long nights sleep, Windows volume control stopped functioning again. I don’t know if I’m missing a setting, driver, or this unit is just faulty. I ended up doing a fresh windows install, which did nothing to fix the issue. I also, tried using Mbox Studio with a MacBook Pro, only to see the same thing. At the time when the volume control was working, I had Windows using Output 7-8, 48k sample rate and Loopback Enabled in MBOX Control software.

All I want to do is to be able to control System volume, (YouTube, system beeps/warnings, etc…) with the volume controls built into Windows or Mac operating while using Mbox Studio. I hooked up my old interface (UA Volt 276) and Windows volume controls work just fine, no setup or configuration needed. Is this possible with the latest Mbox or am I dealing with a design oversight?

Any feedback/help is appreciated

Last edited by Irb Digital; 02-17-2024 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:22 AM

I'm guessing you are wanting to do something that just wasn't designed in. As for me, I am perfectly happy to reach for the knob on the Mbox. You could also go into the Mbox Control software and change the volume of Windows audio with the faders for that signal path.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2024, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm guessing you are wanting to do something that just wasn't designed in. As for me, I am perfectly happy to reach for the knob on the Mbox. You could also go into the Mbox Control software and change the volume of Windows audio with the faders for that signal path.
I’m pretty much coming to this conclusion. I am/was considering returning it, but tbh not a lot can touch it at this price. Arturia Audiofuse comes close, and even adds a usb hub. But unbalanced monitor outs and no pro tools perpetual license leaves me sticking with MBOX. Aside from the volume control, and wrapping my head around the software/routing/functionality, this thing is a dream. I actually picked up MacBook thinking it was a windows driver issue (it’s not). I’m going to stick with avid in this one, here’s hoping it will see some updates/support over time.

Thx for responding, it’s kind of a ghost town around here.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:15 AM

for me also I can see this issue in latest Windows 11