Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 10:34 AM

Default simple reason rewire question

Hello,

There is probably a very basic answer to this (i hope)

Reason 2.5 rewires into pro tools le 6.9.2cs2 and i can play the notes on my keyboard (for say red drum individual drum sounds) but I can't work out how to get pro tools to record the drum line programmed into reason, when i try it just gives a flat line with no recording having been made, except for any single notes i may have bashed in on the midi track.

A simple answer I pray for

If somebody knows the answer to this then maybe they can explain how to stop pro tools resetting my midi audio as in my last post? everytime i boot up midi audio manager it says everything is plugged into 002, then when i boot up pro tools it resorts to internal audio with no option to change... digi support suggested the 6.9.2cs2 upgrade which has made no difference, this is preventing me hearing any of the midi from pro tools!

help greatly appreciated

Sam

G5 Mac
0S X 10.4.2
pro tools 6.9.2cs2
digi 002
Old 08-10-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: simple reason rewire question

I would recomend you don't record them, that is the nice thing about using reason and rewire. You don't have to give up audio tracks, just use and aux track.

The current hip hop project I am working on, we are running 24 to 32 audio tracks(they have a real drummer, bass etc) and then multiple reason aux tracks.

Plus if you leave it in reason you can tweak it there with reasons plugs leaving more protools power for your audio tracks, this is really nice with a dual processor machine. Also if you find you need to adjust the midi info on a reason track you would have to then rerecord it into protools instead of just streaming it via rewire into your session.

Honestly though I don't know how you would record a rewire track since I have never done it.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:27 PM

Sorry, am i misunderstanding the point of rewire?

this may be basic level but something is escaping me... I want to be able to programme a drum line in reason, use all the effects it can offer etc then play me guitar and ting over the top. I understand using a aux track to let reason through but dont you then want it to record what youve programmed instead of having to play everything via midi? why let midi through? at some point won't you be mixing (which i understand u can do as an aux track) does it need to be bounced down?

sorry and thanks for help
Old 08-10-2005, 01:54 PM

sammyd,
if you really want to record a rewire track, you first have to rout it to an available bus and then create a new audio track with that same bus as its input. record enable the new track and you're ready to go. you can't record directly onto the track whichh has the rewire instrument. you must bus it first.

although you don't really need to record it. you can finish editing and mixing your project using all of reason's effects, etc and all of protools' plugins, etc until you are done. then simply bounce to disk and the reason track(s) will be mixed down as well.

the only reason to record reason into an audio track that i can see is if you are running out of cpu or ram and need to eliminate reason from your project.
hope this helps
Old 08-11-2005, 01:16 AM

I'm not sure if I follow what your question is exactly, but I'll throw out some ideas.

PT doesn't "pass" midi through to rewired elements directly, as you've found you can't record in reason the midi notes played live through protools. So what you do in that scenario is to have a PT midi track that records midi, and sends it to reason, while your Aux track monitors the results (and for playback).

It's kind of a pain to have to communication be one way from the PT master to the rewired Reason slave.

I'm not sure if you can import midi into reason's tracks when it's rewired, or do manual programming of midi in reason when rewired. Probably you can.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 AM

Thats all great help and much appreciated, I just wanted to get the basics sorted and now I can crack on with the pro tools for dummies manual!

Thanks
Old 08-12-2005, 04:24 AM

Default RE: Rail Jon Rogut

Do a search on the abovementioned name ... a couple yrs back, Rail did a beautiful Rewire Template specifically for Reason ... I've been using the same one without a hitch since than.

Hey, Rail ... did I ever thank you? I will .... .... Man, you saved me hrs of getting set up ...