Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2023, 01:17 PM

Default Spacebar doesn't start playback with Plugin GUI open

This is a bug that has been killing me fore years. I think it's been in every release since they've started the year/month release code. Here's what's happening...

-Create a blank session with 1 mono track
-Instantiate any plugin (eq1 for example) on insert A and B.
-Open the plugin window for insert A
-Click and change one parameter
-Use the "a" button to change the plugin window to insert B (this is the button within the plugin window that is just to the right of the track name displayed in the plugin window - top left).
-hit space bar...no playback

The only way to get playback after this sequence is to click somewhere in the plugin window. This behavior doesn't happen if you change plugin windows by clicking the insert on the track. Automation mode, auto enable, mix/edit window...none of those seem to make a difference.

This has aggravated me for so long. Using the insert toggle this way is my primary way of changing inserts and many times I want to look at the next plugin in the chain but not necessary change any parameters. I may want to look at a meter or spectrogram within the plugin. Has anyone else experienced this and how do I report this? I can't find any way to report a bug anywhere on the Avid site.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 1.17.06 PM.png (75.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-15-2023, 01:30 PM
Avid

Default Re: Spacebar doesn't start playback with Plugin GUI open

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Do ProTools View Post
This is a bug that has been killing me fore years. I think it's been in every release since they've started the year/month release code. Here's what's happening...

-Create a blank session with 1 mono track
-Instantiate any plugin (eq1 for example) on insert A and B.
-Open the plugin window for insert A
-Click and change one parameter
-Use the "a" button to change the plugin window to insert B (this is the button within the plugin window that is just to the right of the track name displayed in the plugin window - top left).
-hit space bar...no playback

The only way to get playback after this sequence is to click somewhere in the plugin window. This behavior doesn't happen if you change plugin windows by clicking the insert on the track. Automation mode, auto enable, mix/edit window...none of those seem to make a difference.

This has aggravated me for so long. Using the insert toggle this way is my primary way of changing inserts and many times I want to look at the next plugin in the chain but not necessary change any parameters. I may want to look at a meter or spectrogram within the plugin. Has anyone else experienced this and how do I report this? I can't find any way to report a bug anywhere on the Avid site.
Hello there....... I have created a case for you ( 04710244 ) and attached the image you provided.

The audio tech team will check it out. You can always post to forum and one of my team - myself, Tope, Charles or Mark David will help if you think there is a bug.

HTH
Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

We're Avid. Learn more at www.avid.com
Old 11-15-2023, 01:40 PM

Following your instructions exactly, I am also seeing this bug.
And I can repeat the bug if I get it to work again but changing a parameter and flipping to another insert. It stays broken until another parameter is changed (in either insert.)

My guess is that the "spacebar" is stuck in an invisible text field. So when hitting the spacebar, it's actually sending "spaces" to a text field instead of being sent to the transport to play. I say this because it isn't only the spacebar. R and T don't work for zooming in and out. The keyboard commands are going somewhere else.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:58 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
And I can repeat the bug if I get it to work again but changing a parameter and flipping to another insert. It stays broken until another parameter is changed (in either insert.)

My guess is that the "spacebar" is stuck in an invisible text field. So when hitting the spacebar, it's actually sending "spaces" to a text field instead of being sent to the transport to play. I say this because it isn't only the spacebar. R and T don't work for zooming in and out. The keyboard commands are going somewhere else.
Hi BScout

Thanks for trying this and posting your results. I created a case for this # 04710263 and have it logged in support and I references the other case that I created for I Do Pro Tools.

Added myself to the case so I can follow them both and make sure they reproduce and log it.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 11-15-2023, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hello there....... I have created a case for you ( 04710244 ) and attached the image you provided.

The audio tech team will check it out. You can always post to forum and one of my team - myself, Tope, Charles or Mark David will help if you think there is a bug.

HTH
Marianna
Thank you so much. Hope it can resolved in a future update.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post

Thanks for verifying this. I'v yet to find another mixer who ever noticed it. I can also confirm that r and t for zooming is unresponsive. I hadn't noticed that before.
Old 11-15-2023, 02:54 PM

I have experienced this as well and it seems like window focus is the culprit. It can happen when any window other than the edit window is the main focus. Have seen this since the 2023 versions for certain. Spacebar used to start and stop playback regardless of window focus previously.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:48 AM

Yep, this annoys the hell out of me all the time!
Old 11-16-2023, 08:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX-1Bk2 View Post
I have experienced this as well and it seems like window focus is the culprit. It can happen when any window other than the edit window is the main focus. Have seen this since the 2023 versions for certain. Spacebar used to start and stop playback regardless of window focus previously.
Hi Jim

I created a case and asked the same text to look at this as she is looking at the others I created with the same issue.

Marianna

[email protected]
cell +1 (813) 493-6800
AOL IM avidmarianna
Twitter Avidmarianna

Old 11-16-2023, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
Hi Jim

I created a case and asked the same text to look at this as she is looking at the others I created with the same issue.

Marianna
Thanks Marianna! I got the email this morning and will respond accordingly.

Of course I ran an update yesterday from Ventura 13.6 to 13.6.1 and cannot reproduce the issue today in any session...

Last edited by CygnusX-1Bk2; 11-16-2023 at 02:28 PM.