How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2015, 06:44 PM

Default MIDI automatically transposed

Hey all,

Sorry if this is a ridiculous thing I'm overlooking, but I've searched through all my preferences and can't figure it out.

Every new MIDI or Instrument track that I create automatically is transposed +4 steps in the MIDI Real-Time Properties.

Of course this isn't a huge issue as I can simply unclick the transpose box, but it's an ongoing source of annoyance. Do I have some weird preference set somewhere that I can't find? It's been an issue I've had for several years now, even after I upgraded from 9 to 10 (where I am now).

I figured when I upgraded the setting would be reset, but alas, it's still there.

Dan
Old 07-26-2015, 12:22 AM

Default Re: MIDI automatically transposed

Hi,

So this happens also when you create new sessions?

Do you have any midi keyboard connected?
If so i would try to dissconnect that.

Have you tried to trash pt preferences?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:16 AM

Dan,

Without knowing your exact set-up, its hard to know, BUT, the first thing that leaps to my mind is whether or not you have your MIDI out on your MIDI controller keyboard set to transpose? A lot of MIDI controllers and keyboard, allow you to transpose your MIDI on output, so you can play the keys in one key, but have them transposed for the audio output of the VI (or other instrument) they are controlling. I'm wondering if somewhere along the line you somehow set your MIDI for transpose on output without realizing it?

If your controller has that option, I'd check to see if that's not the case. If it is, simply set it back to no transposition might solve the problem.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:00 PM

I can't see that any setting on a hardware midi keyboard controller would cause Pro Tools' Real Time properties to set up a +4 semitones transpose when new midi or instrument tracks are created.

My best guess is that something has got screwed during install. A clean uninstall and reinstall is your best hope of resolving this.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)